Chapter Two: Animo

*Is it going good so far? Make sure you comment and let me know! Thanks you sooo much!*

          “Come on, Mo, you can kick harder than that!”

          I threw a glare and a hiss Barton’s way and aimed again at Natasha. She was jumping from side-to-side on her toes, easily dodging my kicks. We’d been at it for an hour or two, and I hadn’t had much luck in the offense area. The hits I did land, however, were not some of my best work.

          My left foot, my weaker foot, shot out and missed Natasha’s stomach by inches.

          “Mo. Seriously. I thought you took martial arts.” Barton was egging me on from the sidelines, a worthy substitute for Stark’s critical words.

          “I don’t want to hurt anyone,” I countered. “Not if we’re on the same team.”

          In truth, I hadn’t taken fighting classes since seventh grade. In the back of my mind, I figured they already knew that. My words were partially valid, though. I didn’t want to hurt anyone, but I doubted that I actually could.

          “Don’t worry, I’ll be fine. Now try to actually land a hit on me.” Natasha gave me a sly smile. A taunting glint shone in her green eyes.

          I straightened up out of my crouch. My fists were clenched at my sides. Extreme concentration flowed through my bloodstream. I stared hard at Natasha, watching her jump from one spot to another. As I stood there, she began to make a circle around me.

          That same sneaky grin was plastered to her face. For some reason, it triggered anger inside me, awaking some fighting instinct that had remained dormant for a few years. I wanted to wipe that grin off her face.

          I dug my nails into my palms, and made my move in one quick, fluid motion. I threw my left hand backwards; my fingertips landed lightly on the smooth floor. My right leg, now rotated to the very top, lashed out and sent my foot sailing toward Natasha’s surprised face. My bare heel collided with her nose.

          My right hand landed neatly on the ground next to my left; I pushed myself back up to a standing position and took in the damage I’d done.

          Natasha was sitting on the floor, holding her nose. When she moved her hand, it was shiny with fresh blood. I’d given her a bloody nose. Barton laughed from behind me, a silly, happy laugh. He clapped a hand on my shoulder. “I think I love you?” he said, his voice implying that it was more of a question than a statement.

          I had to grit my teeth together to keep my jaw from dropping. What? I thought to myself. Love me? Of course, to keep up my tough girl appearance, I gave him a look of disgust. “Do you, now?” I scoffed, while inside I was pleased that I’d done something right.

          Barton’s goofy smile faded and he shrugged, looking away from me. I shook my head and offered Natasha a hand. She took it and got to her feet.