Chapter Thirteen: Reunion

Hey everyone! There's four chapters left in Animo, so I hope you enjoy this one! Just a little note that will be expanded on later, there's gonna be a sequel. It's planned out and everything. If I tried to squish all the events into Animo, then it would be like twice as long. So, let's just write two books, shall we? Enjoy, guys!

Chapter Thirteen: Reunion

When I came to, I was lying on a makeshift bed. Really, it was a table with a sheet thrown over it, but it was good enough. At least I wasn’t strapped down to it. That was a definite plus.

I groaned. My entire body ached; pain seared throughout my nervous system from the multiple wounds that dotted my arms and legs. I tried to lift my head to inspect the damage, but a pounding in my temple led me to lie back again.

“Agent Mo?” A familiar voice floated into my ears. I turned and rested my cheek against the table to better see who it was. Taylor Burns, the young nurse from the helicarrier, was striding toward me with a smile on her face. “You’re awake!”

I groaned again and rubbed one eye. “How long was I out?”

“A few hours. Well, so they tell me. I just got here a little while ago.” She beamed at me. “They said it was urgent that I fly out to Chicago and tend to your wounds.”

“They’re not that bad, though,” I insisted, pouting a little. I hated doctors, but I was secretly glad to see her. “Adam needs medical attention more than I do. Go fix him.”

Taylor laughed. “Your brother’s injuries are nothing compared to yours. You are in critical condition, Agent. I couldn’t do anything about it, however, until you stopped bleeding. You soaked through two rolls of gauze.”

I squirmed on the table to see what she was talking about. My arms, legs, and both my sides were plastered with the thick white material. Faint splotches of pink dotted them. “I’ve stopped now, haven’t I?”

“You have. That’s why I came over. It’s a bonus that you’re awake as well.” Her smile turned apologetic. “But, I’m going to have to give you an anesthetic before I can stitch you up. I saw how uncomfortable needles were for you last time you were on a hospital bed.”

I eyed her cautiously. “That still involves needles, though.”

“Just one. I promise.”

I glanced around, searching for Barton. He was good in a time of crisis, if that crisis was my irrational fear of needles and other pointy objects that could potentially kill me. I found him hovering near where Adam lay. They looked like they were having some serious discussion, and I was too tired and lazy to bother them, so I nodded once at Taylor and closed my eyes.

I heard her rifling through the different bottles and containers in search of the anesthetic, but I didn’t dare open my eyes. It’s better if you can’t see it, right? Not entirely true. As soon as the needle pricked my arm, I jerked away from it.

“Agent Mo, you’re going to have to hold still. I could stab something I didn’t intend to if you keep moving,” Taylor scolded. I opened my eyes and gave her an apologetic look, feeling suddenly guilty. I laid back again and shut my eyes once more.

This time, when the needle entered my arm, all I did was suck in a breath. Taylor chuckled to herself as she pressed down on the plunger. Then the syringe was pulled away and I allowed myself to open my eyes.

I inspected my arm. There was a tiny red hole where I’d been given the anesthetic. I didn’t feel that different though. I wasn’t numb at all. My brow furrowed and I looked at Taylor. “I can’t feel anything.”