Chapter Twelve: Black Out

*Hey everyone! Did you have a good Thanksgiving? I ate more pie than I probably should have :3 Anyway here's the new chapter! Hope you like it!*

Chapter Twelve: Blackout

I blinked once, twice, three times, trying to process the information Stark had just given me. Adam? They took Adam? As in, my brother, Adam? I blinked a few more times and shook my head. My eyes scanned Stark’s face, looking for some sign of humor, indicating that he was joking. I found none.

And that’s when I started to cry.

I’ll admit, it was not my finest hour. Well, it was really just a few minutes. But I had all the works: the never-ending tears, the dripping nose, and the red, blotchy face, all in that short span of time. I even hiccupped once or twice. All while Stark stared at me, looking completely confused.

“Mo,” he said slowly. “Stop. Stop crying. Mo?” I shook my head at him, holding my hands up in front of my face. I knew I looked horrible; I just couldn’t stop. “Cut it out, Mo, you’re freaking me out!”

My shoulders shook. My brother, they had my brother! What were they going to do to him? Would they kill him? Had they killed him already? “Mo! Quit it!” Stark said, a little louder.

“I-I c-c-can’t!” I hiccupped, shaking my head vigorously.

Stark’s palm connected with the side of my head and withdrew so quickly that I barely even registered it had happened. “Knock it off!” he yelled, grabbing me by the shoulders again.

Immediately, the tears stopped. I gazed at Stark through blurry eyes, feeling nothing but gratitude toward him. I just didn’t have it in me to be angry with him for slapping me. At least he got me to stop crying. “Thank you, Stark,” I said, taking a deep breath and letting it out slowly. “I’m sorry.”

His brown eyes softened. “Crying isn’t going to save your brother, Mo. Only we can. So get up, splash some water on your face, and suit up. Rogers and the others should be here soon.”

I did as I was told, getting to my feet and walking toward my bedroom. I gathered my Animo outfit and retreated into the bathroom. The cold water brought me back to my senses, as well erased all traces of my tears.

I slipped into my improved apparel, tugging the black pants on and throwing the black jacket – minus the wings – over my t-shirt of the same color. It had gotten cold in winter, obviously, so I’d had to revert back to the longer clothes. Although it was July, however, the nights in the Midwest were still a little chilly. And I looked pretty kickass in my outfit, anyway.

No more crying, Mo, I told myself. It’s time to get down to business.

I turned the arrow I’d gotten so long ago over in my hands. It hadn’t left my side since that very first day. I didn’t even have a reason for keeping it around; I just liked to look at it sometimes. And, besides: who knows when I may need another weapon, in addition to my dagger? I slipped the arrow into my waistband and opened the door.

When I returned to the living room, Stark was dressed in the same t-shirt and jeans I’d left him in. “What, no Iron Man suit?” I asked, raising my eyebrows.

“It’s supposed to be a quick mission. In and out. My suit is too clunky, and, besides: Rogers is worried I’ll attack someone.”

I rolled my eyes. “Great. Great. Because I’m sure the aliens will just let us walk right in, take my brother, and then just walk right back out without putting up any sort of a fight. He expects us to go in there defenseless? That’s idiotic.”

Stark chuckled and clapped me on the shoulder, steering me toward the window. “Good to have you and your opinions back.”

I was confused as to why we were going to the window, until I saw the ladder leading up. Of course; the elevator didn’t go to the roof. “Is this safe?” I asked, a little unsure.