Chapter Three: Aliens

*Hey again! This chapter is going to be a longer than the others. You'll see why in a little bit. Woohoo, there's actually going to be some action! Enjoy!*

"I think she's ready, Fury" are the words I heard as I hid just around the corner a week later. My Animo outfit was on, and I'd been practicing with the wings and gloves, even climbing up the walls of the training room. My heart swelled with gratitude toward Barton and Romanoff, whom I saw talking with Nick Fury around the conference table.

"Are you absolutely sure?" Fury's chilly voice asked, requesting clarification that I was sure my two teachers could offer.

I pressed closer to the wall, sticking my hands to it. Then I proceeded to pull myself up until my head was brushing the ceiling. My boots sought out the little cracks in the metal wall. I was now resting horizontally, parallel to the floor below me. The view was much better from up there.

Meanwhile, Natasha was speaking up. "Positive," she said firmly.

I saw Fury shrug his shoulders. "All right then. Consider Animo an official Avenger. Excellent work, agents." The he began to walk away, opposite the direction where I was lying in wait for them.

Barton caught his arm before he could leave. "Fury." His quiet voice that barely reached my ears was urgent. "What's going on? Why is she here?"

I made a soft noise of irritation. What was that supposed to mean? Did he not want me here? Before I could blow my cover and shout out an angry response, Fury replied with, "We can't discuss this now. I believe our conversation is being listened to by uninvited ears."

It took me a moment to realize that it was me he was referring to. When I did, I blushed and edged my way over to the corner of the wall, where I peered out at them in embarrassment. "Sorry," I mumbled with a small half smile. I crept back down to the floor and crossed over to them.

"Never mind," Fury said quickly, tossing an anxious glance in my direction. "Congratulations, Mo, you're now an official member of the Avengers team."

Natasha grinned at me; Barton didn't take his eyes off of Fury. I tilted my head, wondering what the big deal was. "Fury," Barton said icily.

"This is a matter to be discussed at another time," Fury snapped, silencing Barton. "Mo, make sure you're in gear at all times. You never know when something will come up that requires Avenger attention." With those words, he stalked away.

Natasha gave my arm a reassuring squeeze, then left after Fury. That left Barton and I standing alone in the empty conference room.

"Well," I said awkwardly. "I guess I should go, you know, gear up, or whatever."

I turned and started to walk back the way I'd come in, opposite the way Natasha and Fury had gone. Barton cleared his throat; I stopped. "Mo," he began.

I stared at him with hardened eyes. I couldn't understand the irritation that was running with my blood. I suppose it had something to do with the fact that Barton was practically demanding to know why I was here. And I thought we were getting on quite well. "What?" I growled.

He stepped closer and reached into his pocket. I opened my mouth in alarm, but all he did was press something into my hand. I looked down and wanted to cry with gratitude. My iPod sat in my palm, looking no worse for wear than it had been when I'd left it. "But, how did you...?" I trailed off and just watched him with happy eyes.

"I swiped it the night we went to your house. You seemed to like it a lot, so I didn't want to leave it behind." He gave me a small smile, and before I could thank him or say anything more, he hurried away, leaving through the same door that Natasha and Fury went through.