Chapter Seven: Midnight Flights

*Aw, snap! Fury's in trouble now! Haha, vote, comment, and all that junk. Thanks for reading!*

          Fury wasn’t fazed. “So you know.”

          Several faces paled, namely Stark, Rogers, Banner, and Thor. Natasha and Barton displayed only confusion, and I felt bad for snapping at the two of them earlier. Glances were exchanged. My temper rose. “You’re damn right I know!” I hissed. “Who else knows?”

          Rogers stepped forward a little, looking guilty. “I do.”

          Well, I already figured that out, I thought snippily. I didn’t say it out loud, because it would only make him feel worse.

          “As do I.” Thor hung his head.

          “And me.” That was Banner.

          “So what if we know? Does it really matter?” Stark crossed his arms and looked pointedly at me.

          I couldn’t think of a proper response, so Natasha answered for me. “Of course it matters that you know!” she shouted.

          “What about us?” Barton motioned to the ones who weren’t previously informed. That, apparently, was only the three of us. “Don’t we get to be in on this? What’s going on?”

          Fury was glaring at each of us, even his little allies. He stalked to a computer screen and tapped a few keys. I was about sick of computers. Nothing good was coming from them as of late. That was confirmed when a picture of me laughing with my brother popped up for everyone to see. “We received this photo approximately three months ago from an unknown source. An explanation was provided with it.” Another tap. Big, blocky letters appeared on top. “‘They’re coming for her,’” Fury read to us, like we couldn’t see.

          Barton grasped my hand; Natasha wrapped an arm around my shoulders. The gesture was sweet, in way. Almost as if they were trying to comfort me. In reality, it was the two of them who should have needed comfort, because hatred had pushed aside my terror. For now.

          “Why do they want me?” I asked, trying and failing to calm myself down. “I don’t understand why I’m so important!”

          Fury shook his head. “We haven’t figured that much out yet. All we know is that they will stop at nothing to get you.”

          “Chris Garfield said that once they have me they’ll leave. Why didn’t you just let them take me? It could have saved lives. You wouldn’t have had to go to so much trouble training me. I could be gone now. Why am I here?”

          He seemed agitated. “Do you know how bad it’d look if we let a young girl get kidnapped by aliens? S.H.I.E.L.D. would be ruined. And we could tell you had potential, anyway. Because of that, you didn’t have to stay locked away from the moment you got here.” He shrugged. “That’s got to count for something.”