3

She stared at the small room that was to be hers with her mouth hanging open. There was no way, she mussed, that she was going to sleep in this room.

It was small and tight, a tiny bed big enough for one sat against the wall, a small compact window that was sealed shut was the only source of light in the room. A small closest door sat across from the bed.

She frowned, "I refuse to sleep in this...this..." her words trailed off. She didn't know what to call the small space before her.

Aiden was leaning comfortably against the wall behind her, his arms crossed, his eyes assessing her every move. She turned and met his eyes, a fire rebellious fire blazing in her dark eyes. "I will not be sleeping here."

He raised a brow at her. He wasn't one for constant conversation. He was more on the quiet side. "Yes you will." He said.

Her frown deepened and she crossed her arms as well, mirroring him. "If I'm going to be your servant, you should at least give me better accommodations."

He smirked at her, the tone of her voice was not one of a remorseful person. He had to admit, though she was rather obnoxious, he liked it.

"You are not my servant. You are an employee. You will sleep in what I offer you." He stood up straight and walked away before she could retort.

Her cheeks flushed with anger. The man was so...so...annoying! Did he think he could reform her? Locking her away in his shiny estate to work off her deeds would do nothing to change the way that she was. She had been stealing for as long as she could remember. She had been fending for herself for years. The last thing she needed was for a wannabe good Samaritan to toss her into an imaginary reformation.

She followed after him, hiking up her skirt as she went, trying to keep up with his large strides. "You bloody idiot! I will not be sleeping in th-," he turned abruptly and she slammed into him.

He grabbed her by the shoulders, steading her. She snatched away from him, her heart pounding in her chest. She didn't know what it was about him but being within close proximity to him had her blushing like a debutante and shivering as if she were standing within the assault of a cold winter day.

The look he was giving her was filled with interest though there was a growing twinkle of irritation settling into his chocolaty gaze.

He raised a brow at her, his eyes assessing her. "I will not argue with you. I would prefer it if you would be silent and work off what you owe. You will sleep there and do not make me repeat myself again. I have sent for something more suitable for you to wear."

She licked her suddenly dry lips. Arguing with him seemed futile, he didn't rile easily and that all in itself just made her frustrated. She had never met someone immune to her probing.

"What is wrong with what I am wearing?" She questioned sassily.

He smirked, "It is not something that a working woman would wear."

She narrowed her eyes. "What's that supposed to mean?" She snapped defensively.

He shrugged, pointing a finger at her skirt, "How many holes have you patched up? It's obvious that you've had this for years."

She blushed in embarrassment. "How dare you...you...you pompous ass! I do not ha-," he waved her mounting protest off.

"You have no reason be angry. I will provide you with something more suitable for you to wear and it has nothing to do with you owing me...think of it as a gift."

Her eyes widened. "A gift? Why would you give me a gift?"

He stuffed his hands into his pockets, a small boyish grin on his lips. He leaned toward her, kissing her gently on the forehead.

She gasped before pulling away, rubbing her forehead.

"I don't think you're as bad as you wish yourself to be." He said softly before turning on his heel and leaving her standing dumbstruck in the middle of the hallway.

"Get some sleep thief. You'll need your rest." He called out behind him as he rounded the corner.

She frowned, her heart pounding. He didn't think she was as bad as she wished to be? Wished?

She did not wish to be bad. It was just the way she was. The way she had always been. She clenched her jaw before wiping her forehead. The second time...that was the second time he had dared to kiss her. She scowled...the mounting butterflies she felt in the pit of her stomach flutter at having been given near him. Who did he think he was? She had not given him permission to touch her...let alone kiss her.

She refused to let it happen again. She would repay what was due but she would not let that man get close to her. She would not be swayed with his intense gaze or the melodious rumble of his voice. It was all such foolishness. This whole situation was unrealistic!

The man was obviously insane. For a sane man would have had her arrested. Her frown darkened as she realized that he did not think her a threat to him. He had literally carried her into his home and given her a room.

Did he not think she would rob him? Did he not think her smart enough or brave enough to take his valuables and run for the hills?

Her frown deepened even more as she realized that the thought of doing that didn't please her as much as it should. She grit her teeth, contemplating doing the deed but shook her head, freeing the thought. She huffed before heading into the small room that was to be hers for the remainder of her stay.

The room really was small...though she would never admit it to him...it was much better than anything she had ever had.

She closed the door behind her and leaned against it. The feel of the wood beneath her palms cool to the touch. She sighed, resting her head against he door. She really should be thanking him for rescuing her but still...she just couldn't bring herself to do such a thing. Stubbornness was one of her many flaws.

She was sure that it was a trait that she inherited from her father. Her mother had been a kind and gentle woman. Her only real flaw being her gullibility. Her mother had been much to quick to believe in others.

She shook away thoughts of her disgruntled past and moved toward the small desk that sat in the corner of the room. On the desk was a mirror. She froze as she truly got a glimpse of herself. She looked horrible. She looked tired and over run. Her hair was in total disarray. The thick coarse locks flying in different directions.

Her skin...she frowned...her mulatto skin was pale. It's paleness a constant reminder that she was not the same as the people around her. She was a mixed breed. The offspring of an affair that should have never been.

She moved away from the mirror and moved toward the bed with aching feet. She kicked off her old slippers, adorned with holes and a worn out sole, and climbed onto the bed. As she laid there, her mind refused to truly rest.

She couldn't turn off her thoughts. She groaned, this is how it had always been for her. She hardly ever slept. Her mind never seemed to shut off and as a result she hadn't had a good night's sleep in weeks...days...months...years....she didn't know when.

She twisted and turned, listening to the sound of her own breathing in the quiet space. She balled up, wrapping her arms around herself. Hours seemed to pass by and still sleep evaded her.

And just as she thought she would not get and ounce of sleep her eyelids began to feel heavy and she gladly fell into an exhausted yet anxious slumber.

*This chapter is short I know. Sorry, I just wanted to get a bit of Harmony's background out. I will be updating again soon.

Don't forget to comment, like and share!*