14

"Wait! Let go of me! I-I didn't-, "Harmony's teeth rattled as the man jerked her harshly.

"Sav' it! You've been 'round 'er stealin' from hard workin' people for too long!" He spat down at her.

His grip on her arm was iron clad as he constantly pushed her in front of him. Her steps were clumsy and she struggled to keep walking straight as the large man continued to forcefully push her down the street.

Her cheeks were red and flushed. Her eyes swollen from crying. She felt awful. She was sure that she looked awful.

And now she was being dragged to the authorities. She was finally getting what she deserved and she couldn't really be angry at anyone except herself.

She had chosen to live her life this way and now her actions were all coming back to haunt her.

She winced as the man's grip tightened and she was sure that she would have a bruise.

Suddenly they were standing in front of the police station and dread filled her belly as he pushed her inside. She stumbled into the building, her grip on the figurine tightened.

A bobby walked over to them, his belly full and round as if he constantly drank ale in his down time.

"How may I help ya'?" He asked with a bored expression.

"I got myself a thief." The man said before pushing her forward. She stumbled into the officer and he scowled.

"A thief?" He tsked, his expression going from bored to an angry sneer.

"Yeah, she been stealing longer than most of us been breathing."

She kept her eyes to the floor, flushing silently at the exaggeration.

"Really now?" The officer said with disgust.

"I bet she stole that pretty little statue too." The man snapped, pointing to the figure in her hands.

Her eyes widened and her head snapped up. She shook her head but couldn't deny that she had stolen it...how could she deny it when it was obvious that she had?

The officer moved toward her, reaching out to snatch the figure from her hands. She took a step back, holding it tighter against her chest. "It's mine!"

The officer raised a brow at her, a sneer forming on his face. He reached for it again and this time he snatched it from her. "Give it back!" She snapped as she reached for it, trying to take it back from his beefy arms.

The man who had dragged her there grabbed a hand full of her hair and twisted her arm behind her back. She cried out in pain as the officer quickly unlocked a cell and tossed her into it. She hit the concrete floor with a hard thud. Wincing as she stood on shaky legs.

Her eyes filled with tears as the bars clicked shut before her, locking her into the small damp room. She took multiple steps back and hit the wall behind her.

She sank to the cold floor and wrapped her arms around her knees. She had no one to rescue her this time. She was sure that Aiden would never forgive her.

She sucked in a deep breath as tears filled her eyes once again and she began to cry.

Aiden had searched every Knick a cranny he could think of and still he hadn't found her. He leaned back against the cushioned seat of his coach. His mind was working a mile a minute.

There was one place he hadn't checked. One place he didn't want to check. He sighed before calling on his footman and telling him where he wanted to go. He sat brooding as the coach moved through the crowded streets.

His mind was in constant motion. Thinking. Wondering.

He raked a hand through his hair as he felt the carriage come to halt. He sighed before pushing the door open and stepping out, staring at the entrance to the police station. He pulled the door open and walked down the hall.

He stepped into the office and stood at the desk.

"How may I help ya'?" The officer asked as he stood up.

"I-, "his words were forgotten as he heard the sound of soft crying. He looked in the direction of the cells and frowned when he saw no one.

"Did you arrest someone today?" He asked curiously.

The officer raised a brow, placing a hand on his beer belly and nodding, "Somebody brought in a thief. They seem to be around every corner these days. Ain't no one safe." The officer shook his head in indignation.

Aiden stared at the officer for a moment before asking, "What was stolen?"

The officer snapped his fingers, as if he had completely forgotten anything had been stolen. He reached into his desk and pulled the small glass figure, showing it to Aiden with eyes filled with awe. "Pretty darn expensive lookin' thing."

Aiden clenched his jaw at the familiar item. "She didn't steal it. It belongs to her. And she belongs to me. Let her go."

The officer's eyes widened and for the first time since Aiden had walked in he really looked him over. Aiden was dressed expensively.

"Oh! I'm sorry! When she was brought in I didn't think...there's just been so many robberies." The officer explained as he handed the figure to Aiden and reached for his keys. He headed for the cell Harmony was locked in and made quick work of opening the door.

"You're free to go, your husbands come for ya'. Sorry for the misunderstanding." The officer said as he held the door open for her.

She looked up at him with confusion in her eyes. "My...husband?" She asked, her voice scratchy.

Aiden walked into the cell and her eyes widened. Before she could say anything he grabbed her by the collar of her dress, pulling her up. She stared wide eyed up at him. He wrapped an arm around her waist and walked her out of the police station.

*Comment, like and share!*