24 - Set In

People are like stained - glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within. ~Elisabeth Kubler-Ross

Luke's POV

I walked in the room and could see Sammy sleeping on the couch, Ashton was placed in a chair nearby. One leg folded up over the other as he let his hands rest in his lap. He saw something the matter with my expression but said nothing. 

I walked around the couch and got a better look at Sammy, and felt confusion cross my face. His face was cut, bruised although his skin looked as if it was clean. 

"Take a seat Luke," Ashton spoke up. "We're all friends here." 

"W-What?" I raised my eyebrows. Did Ashton consider him my friend? And if so, why would he? I never did anything for him. I never did anything for anyone. I was an believer in the concept of selfishness. That was the only way you ever survived. Although, every now and again someone had the privilege to break that - I suppose Sammy could be one of those people.

"Sit down." Ashton smiled and I took a seat on the chair across from him. Bouncing my leg as Michael walked in the room, his hands held in his jean's pockets. I raised my cold hands up to my face, felt them chill me but I kept them there to hide part of my expression. 

"We found Sammy all beat up," Michael said without a moment of hesitation. He took a seat on the arm of the couch. "Of course, we cleaned him up a little bit after we had brought him here. He's been sleeping since we've been back."

I had to wonder, who would ever want to hurt Sammy? He never did anything wrong. Never crossed paths of people he should not have. He kept to himself, and kept his mouth closed. That was one of the worst, yet best attributes of him. It always kept Sammy out of trouble, but sometimes I wish he had stood up for himself.

"He was awake when we got him though," Michael continued as I glanced at his face. "So, we can tell you what happened. If you want, that is." I did want him to say it, but for a moment I could not quite get it through my head. So I only looked towards Michael who instantly adverted my gaze. 

I turned away and nodded my head, glancing down at my hands and swallowing hard. 

"He said he was walking, and then uh.." Michael trailed off as if he did not want to say it. "Kody, showed up. Did this." 

"Kody..?" I spoke, my voice was shushed, I doubt anyone heard me. But it seemed as if everyone did.

"Yeah, Kody." Michael spoke. 

I sat still for a moment, not sure what to do. I took a deep breath and leaned back in the chair. Kody, huh. It was almost as if I had some sort of epiphany - if you could call it that. It was just a thought, but it instantly came out of my mouth. "T-This is because of me.." 

"Well, I don't really know if I would say that." Michael said, I could not look at him. But the way his voice sounded almost made me believe he was thinking the same damned thought as well. 

I felt chills run through my body as I leaned forward on my knees. I was not starting to cry - not yet - I was just trying to wrap my head around what to do. After all, why would he not do anything else? Kody was a mad-man it had seemed. 

"This is all my fault." I whispered to myself. I felt a hand on my back and instantly flinched although I knew it was Michael. 

"Sammy told me something interesting," Michael spoke. "It seems you two are in the same kind of boat - or at least you were." 

"W-What?" I turned to Michael who did not look at me as he spoke. 

"He said that he really was not a fan of smoking, he just does it with all of you." Michael said. I turned my eyes towards Sammy. I had no idea he felt that way, I don't think he had ever voiced that opinion to anyone. Why would he tell Michael that? 

"I don't buy it, he's never said anything before. Why would he say it to you two?" I asked, a bit of a snap in the tone of my voice. 

"Why would he tell you that he doesn't like your habits?" Michael said. "Why would he tell you that, and risk being an outcast? Do you ever think that it's crossed his mind to say something but he's too scared to? Not all of us can be brash with our opinions." 

I felt as if something had overcame me, a feeling that I previously never knew. I felt as if there was a shadow just warping around me. I wanted to run, hide, and never see daylight again. Never deal with another human being. Never deal with anything. 

"Are you alright?" Michael asked. "You have that look." 

"What look?" I asked, a monotone voice, as I glanced up to Michael. 

"A blank stare." Michael said. "I think that's the kind of look that worries me the most." 

I thought about taking my lighter out and catching myself on flames for a moment, I also thought running out of the house and diving into the street when the first car passed. Thought about climbing out a window and just hitting the ground. It all crossed my mind - for just a moment. 

"What am I supposed to do?" I asked, and turned my head to Michael. He folded his arms and let out a breath of air. 

"I don't know." He spoke. "Honestly," He then chuckled slightly. "I'm still waiting for you to give up. Seems to be a reoccurring theme with you." 

"What?" 

"You always give up," Michael said. "Things get hard, you go home, you smoke, you drink. You give up. You've given up on a life after high school because you don't think you'll get there. You're starting to give up on your grades because they don't matter to you anymore. Trust me Luke, sometimes you have to give up on things. It's important that you do. But you never give up on anything that you should. You're giving up on what's important." Michael let out a sigh and closed his eyes, he smirked. "I've spent enough time watching you to peace you together. People care about you, so why shouldn't you care?" 

"People don't - "

"Don't tell me people don't care." Michael snapped as he stood up, and looked to me with a glare that developed into a pitiful glance. "You can't say people don't care about you. A lot of people care about you but you don't care enough to recognize them. It's you who doesn't care. Not everyone else." Michael let out a sigh. "You should do a little bit of thinking, you're running away from what you once valued, the good concepts aren't there anymore. I want you to realize this before it devours you." 

"And if I don't?" I replied. 

Michael thought about his response for a moment. "Then you might as well be good as dead." 

AUTHOR'S NOTIFICATION; Ariana 

Hehe, double update =3 I have to pee so bad but I was really in the moment so I didn't want to get up and go to the bathroom. But I can now! 

Hugs, Kisses, Cuddles and Serenades xX