30 - Deceived

Time makes more converts than reason. ~Thomas Paine

Luke's POV

"Let go!" I huffed as I pulled my arm out of Barbie's grasp. She was glaring at me. "What is your problem?"

"You can't hang out with Riley!" Barbie snapped.

"Why not?" I snapped. "At least he doesn't treat me like a baby!"

"We don't treat you like a - "

"Yes you do." I sighed. "Barbie you don't treat me like your equal. 'Oh let's be super careful around Luke.'" Barbie looked me up and down. "You can't say you don't see it."

"I just want to help." Barbie muttered.

"You're not helping. At least Riley gives me choices." I sighed. "I just want to be treated like the rest of you."

Barbie said nothing. She only looked me up and down, a pitiful look on her face. She opened her mouth and spoke. "Why don't you just hang out with Michael? Why Riley?"

"Because hanging out with Michael is different." I explained.

"I'm sure Michael wouldn't be too thrilled to know that you are hanging out with Riley." Barbie noted.

"Riley is my friend." I folded my arms and huffed.

"Oh really? Just a friend?" Barbie asked. She reached in her purse and pulled out a small compact mirror. She unfolded it and turned to to me so I could see myself. I went wide eyed to see the lines of hickeys across my neck.

"Stay away from Riley." Barbie said quietly. "And I'll help you cover all of this up." Barbie gestured to my me. I let out a sigh and ran a hand down my face. Just at that moment Skarlet came out of the house, slamming the door.

"I thought you were with Michael?" Skarlet snapped.

"I am - "

"So you're sleeping around with Riley?" Skarlet asked and I shook my head slowly. "Oh really?"

"Skarlet I-I'm not." I shook my head and took a step back.

"How's your bottom?" Skarlet smiled wickedly. When I thought about it I went wide eyed.

"Skarlet please I - "

"I know. You were too drugged to remember." Skarlet said. "This is why we said you weren't allowed to hang out with Riley! You're just fortunate I found out for you before you - or even Michael - did."

I said nothing, how was I supposed to respond to that? After all, there was not much rebuttal I could have.

"Come on, we're taking you home. Your mother is worried." Skarlet sighed. I really did not believe her, but I did not testify. In fact I walked to Skarlet's car and I sat as she drove off to my house.

I let out a sigh. I really had no idea what to do. It felt like I was scum but what was I supposed to do? In the end, I could have always denied Riley's request. If anything I did not like him at all in that certain light. If he asked me sober I would have denied.

When I got out of the car I walked to the house, not shocked to see it empty. I traveled up to my room and laid down on my bed.

I laid there for what felt like ever. I heard the rain start to come down as the wind blew against the house. I let out a sigh, feeling my eyes close.

"What am I doing with my life?" I asked myself. I had no idea, maybe saying it aloud would help.

I lit a cigarette and inhaled the same smoke I always craved. I had a problem, I knew it well as anyone else. But it was not out of hand.