28 - Shifted

A good garden may have some weeds. ~Thomas Fuller

Luke's POV

I will admit, I felt kind of groggy the next day, but still felt well enough to go to school. In fact, I felt well enough just in general. My nerves had temporary gone down, I got a little bit of sanity back. I would thank Riley, but I am really not sure if I should.

Not to mention, this morning before school I lounged around Riley's house smoking cigarettes. I never left his house last night, and I never got any of my homework done, but I showed up anyways.

Riley let me wear some of his clothes, since he was shorter and a smaller size I had to subdue to the fact that I would be wearing sweatpants and a black-long sleeved shirt. It was fine, I got to shower and everything so I had no problem after that.

I walked into the school and to my locker, my steps kind of dragged against the ground and Riley was laughing wildly beside me. He seemed to like me a lot more now than he did even..Twenty-four hours ago.

Riley had even followed me to my locker, when I got there I saw Michael. Although Riley and Michael instantly locked glares. Something told me they did not like each other.

"I'm gonna go." Riley said, his voice suddenly cold. "I don't like him."

"Okay." I said. Riley walked off in the opposite direction and Michael raised his eyebrow to me.

"You smell retched." Michael said. "Literally what are you on."

"I'm not on anything." I rolled my eyes. Michael sighed, took out a bottle of cologne and squirted me with it. "Why do you have that?"

"Because I knew this would happen." Michael smiled. "Now you have to reason to leave school again. Get your work done."

"Pf. No." I chuckled and dumped my belongings into my locker.

"No? What do you mean, no?" Michael asked.

"It's not a big deal, a couple of grades. Who cares?" I shrugged.

"You should." Michael huffed. "Don't you want to have good grades?"

"No." I rolled my eyes. "I'm not going anywhere in life, why do I need good grades."

"Luke," Michael sighed. "All of your teachers are going to notice your grades are dropping and then start investigating. Do you want that?" I bit down on my lip and rubbed the back of my neck nervously. "I thought not."

"They don't care about me that much." I said quietly as I turned back to my locker. Trying to avoid looking at Michael.

"Luke, you're super smart of course they're going to care." Michael said. He leaned on his locker door as he spoke. "Does it make a difference if I care?"

I wanted to say yes, I really did. For some reason it never came out. I did not say a word to him, and that was my own fault, but I had no idea what to say. I bit down on my lip and felt the good feeling go, and instantly began to feel nervous.

"If it doesn't, that's fine." Michael said quietly, there was nothing hurt to his voice or to his expression. Either Michael was really hard to read, or he was not phased at all.

"I-I better get to class.." I muttered and saw Michael smirking. "What's that look for?"

"Glad that you still care enough to even attend class." Michael said, as he started to chuckle. I shot him a glare and went to walk away, but felt him tug back on my arm. "You're not even going to say bye to me?" I let out a huff and shook my head. "Can I say bye to then?"

"I don't have time for this." I whined.

Michael rolled his eyes and smirked before leaning forward and kissing my forehead. "Okay, get out of here then." I stood there for a moment too long - causing Michael to start chuckling - before taking off down the hallway.

I went into the classroom, there were three other in there this time, but still not to many. I took my seat at the back of the room. I knew who the kids were up front. A bunch of rude, arrogant, preppy boys who might as well be blowing their noses with money. 

I leaned back and crossed my arms and legs. They usually left me alone, I never had to deal with them since Kody was around. But now I was sure word had gotten around. So the three looked to me and smiled.

I shifted nervously, the teacher was in here so I was pretty confident that nothing would happen. Although, if he walked out then there would be a few issues that would need to be dealt with. Those few issues were those few boys. 

Slowly, the classroom filled up. The bustle of chatter weaved its way into the room. I sat patiently, waiting for class to start. When it did, Mr. Miran walked around the room. Simply to look at the assignment for the previous night. When I looked inside my binder, I was not really surprised to see it blank. But I was nervous to what Mr. Miran might have said. 

When he reached me he looked at my desk. "You didn't do it?" I shook my head slowly. "Why not?" I had no answer for him, so I said nothing. "Well, you're usually on time with your work. Hand it in tomorrow and I won't do any reductions." 

"Thank you." I replied quietly and looked down at my desk. When Mr. Miran began to talk, it seemed as if everything made zero sense to me. I rubbed my neck and tried to understand, but got very little of it in my head.

I leaned back in my seat and waited for the bell to ring. When it did, I went to walk out of the room. I was sure Mr. Miran said my name, but I did not stick around to wait. I raced towards second period. I had no time for this, and the calmness I had seemed to fade back to panic without warning.

AUTHOR'S NOTIFICATION; Ariana

We actually have quite a few more chapters to this book, I want to say that it might have anywhere's between seven to twelve. So yeah =3 

I also appreciate all of you whom vote and comment. Not saying you have to - because you don't. But voting lets me know that you actually like it. Commenting is just kind of the cute little reactions you all have, and while I know I don't respond to all of them at least know that I read all of them. 

Hugs, Kisses, Cuddles and Serenades xX