Chapter 3 - Nightmares

March 4th, 2020 - 12:00am

The first-time Analia had a nightmare was the day after her family had been killed in the third Kaiju attack. She remembered closing her eyes and seeing their dead bodies on the ground at her feet. She remembered them screaming at her to run for her life and get to safety. But she hadn't, she had just stood there too scared to move and as a result, her brother had died saving her. For years she had dealt with the nightmares where her brother would ask her why she didn't run. Every night until recently she would have nightmares that would keep her up late at night.

However, over the years Analia had learned how to deal with her nightmares. She knew how to suppress them once she was awake, how to let them go, and over time they had stopped. It was if the nightmares had been a bully, the less she reacted to them and thought about them the further away they would go. She had figured out that she had to stop fueling the thoughts that created the nightmares.

So when she woke up at midnight to Raleigh's shouting she wasn't surprised. She had been waiting for this to happen. The first shout sent her sitting straight up in bed disoriented and it took her several moments to remember where she was. She rubbed her eyes to rid her vision of its sleepy haze before looking over to Raleigh. He was drenched in sweat, moaning and calling out for his brother. She stood up from the bed, crouched beside the bed and took his hand in hers. For a moment she just watched him, not knowing exactly what to do. There were several things she could do; wake him and hope that he doesn't attack her, leave him alone or climb in next him and hold him which was something her mother used to do for her when she had nightmares.

She decided that waking him would be the best option. Carefully she shook his shoulder and whispered his name. No response. She tried again but a little harder. Still no response. With a sigh she grabbed his shoulder hard and called out to him loudly. It did the trick. His eyes flashed open and he sat up. Unfortunately his mind was still in the dream and the next thing she knew they were both on the ground with her practically sitting in his lap as he held her in a chokehold. Her first instinct was to fight back but she knew that he would snap out of it once he realized what he was doing so she just let her body go limp. Despite knowing he would let go of her, it did nothing to calm her racing heart as her air was being cut off. Not soon enough he let her go and all but pushed her away as he cowered against his bed trying to get as far away from her as possible.

"Raleigh?" She choked out, massaging her neck. "Raleigh, it's okay. You're safe now. It was just a dream." He looked up at her with wide eyes, filled with tears.

"I am so sorry. I didn't...I...I...I didn't mean to." He stammered, she moved towards him and he backed away from her but he had nowhere to go as she got closer.

"It's okay. I'm alright." She pulled him into her arms and let him hold on to her for dear life as he let his brain process what had happened.

They stayed like that until Raleigh tired himself out and fell back to sleep. She didn't care that they were still on the floor, but she shifted so his head rested in her lap and she reached up to grab a pillow that she put under his head and blanket to wrap around her shoulders. Looking down at him all she could think was that he resembled a small child that had lost everything and her maternal instinct was to shelter him from it. So she stayed awake, watching over him, making sure he didn't wake from another nightmare. She found herself combing her fingers through his hair like she had when they had been in this same position the first time in the bed of the truck. He didn't even stir for the rest of the night and by the time the sun came up she found herself drifting off.

 He didn't even stir for the rest of the night and by the time the sun came up she found herself drifting off