Chapter 4 - Irrational Guilt

March 5th, 2020 - 11:30 pm

She got home late. Much later than she had intended. Shopping for clothes had taken longer than she had expected and by the time she pulled up to the house the dash clock read 11:30pm. The windows were dark in the house and she knew they were all asleep. With an exhausted sigh she heaved the bags out of the car and into the house. Inside she dropped them in the kitchen and grabbed an apple to munch on. She had hoped to be home at least before they had all gone to bed but she had promised she would pick Raleigh up some clothes.

"Ana! Help!" George came running down the stairs suddenly startling her. Her sudden jolt sent her apple to the floor and she growled at it.

"What is it, George?" She asked as she stifled a yawn.

"Soldier boy is having another nightmare. I don't know what to do!" He exclaimed.

"Go back to bed. I'll take care of this." She told him running a hand through her hair. She didn't particularly want to deal with their guest at that moment but she let out a breath and went up the stairs to her room mumbling the whole way. "Luckily I have the day off tomorrow."

As she reached the room she could hear him yelling rather loudly in his sleep. She entered the room and saw he was in the same situation as the night before. This time however she knew not to wake him for fear of having her neck snapped. Instead, she shrugged off her scrubs and threw her pj's on and crawled in behind Raleigh on the bed, winding her arms around him so she was holding him around the waist. The moment she touched him he quieted down and settled into sleep, much to her surprise. She didn't have to wait very long for sleep to consume her and when she finally succumbed to the void, he did not dream.

 She didn't have to wait very long for sleep to consume her and when she finally succumbed to the void, he did not dream

The next morning she woke to Raleigh's shifting weight on the bed. They had moved around on the bed and now instead of her holding him she now had her head resting on his chest, his arm draped lazily around her waist. In her mind, she was fighting two arguments. One; she was too comfortable to get up out of bed and two; this was an odd situation to be in. She had only met him three days prior and they were already sharing a bed. She really didn't know what to think or do.
He shifted under her and she couldn't help but let out a loud yawn that caught his attention. His body tensed underneath her at the sudden realization that there was someone lying on him. He took her by surprise when he nuzzled into her hair and held her closer. A blush swept across her cheeks and she buried her face in the crook of his neck.

"Good morning." She muttered, and he jumped slightly.

"Am I dreaming?" He asked her.

"No, this is very real. You had a nightmare last night. I wasn't sure what to do since I didn't want to get attacked." She explained. He responded with a thoughtful hum. They didn't speak for the rest of the morning and it seemed that they had come to a small agreement. If one or the other was hurting they would do what they could ease their pain. She couldn't understand it but she had this connection with him. They could sit there in silence in each other's' arms, even after only knowing each other for four days and it wasn't uncomfortable. She had forgotten what it had been like to be in another man's arms and she had forgotten the level of comfort and security it brought her.