Chapter 7 - One Year Gone

February 29th, 2021 - 7 pm

"I'm home!" she yelled as she hurried into the house and out of the cold. She had just finished her twenty three hour shift at the hospital and she was exhausted, to say the least. She wanted nothing more than to go upstairs and collapse into bed but it was her night to make dinner. She dropped her keys and coat at the door and made her way towards the kitchen where she could faintly hear music playing. The smell that hit her made her smile. Upon entering the kitchen she saw Raleigh at the stove flipping sandwiches in the cast iron pan. "You are an angel." She spoke quietly.

"You know it Ana." Raleigh said earning a laugh from her. She sat down at the table and watched him as he continued to cook. "How was work?"

"Long. Exhausting. Boring. The usual." She whined putting her head down on the table.

"Are you too tired to go out on a date?" He asked her, setting a plate of sandwiches in front of her. She looked up at him with wide eyes, not sure what to say. She hesitated for a moment wondering if he was joking or not. The look in his eyes told her he wasn't though, he was being completely serious.

"I'm free tomorrow. I don't want to pass out mid-date." She smiled at him, grabbing a sandwich and taking a bite of it. The warmth of the sandwich spread through her body and she had to hold back a groan in pleasure. He had always been the best at making grilled cheese.

"Ok. Sounds great." He grinned from ear to ear and she couldn't keep the smile from her face. Smiles like that from him were rare and when they happened she wished she had a camera each time.

"What do you have in mind Casanova?" She asked, raising an eyebrow at him. He smirked and returned to the stove where he flipped a sandwich that had been left a little too long on the pan.

"That's for me to know and for you to find out." He looked at her over his shoulder and grinned at her. She just rolled her eyes and ate her sandwich. Butterflies were going crazy in her abdomen and she was excited to see what this date was going to be. She had been praying for this to happen but she had never thought it would. In her head, she quickly counted the months that he had been here and then something clicked.

"Didn't you land on the beach a year ago today?" She asked suddenly.

"That I did. A year ago today, you saved my life and now I'm going to repay that with an amazing date." He told her as he sat down at the table with his own plate.

"I can't believe it's already been that long." She breathed as he reached over and took her hand in his. "We've been through so much."

"That's for sure. I am so grateful for everything you have done for me." He told her, giving her hand a squeeze so she knew he meant it. She couldn't stop the blush from spreading across her cheeks from his comment.

"Well, I didn't do all of the work. In taking care of you you have healed me too." She replied, rubbing her thumb over his knuckles. She met his gaze and smiled at him. His deep blue eyes were drawing her in and she couldn't help it when her eyes flicked down to his lips. She could feel his hot breath on her lips and she wanted nothing more than to close the gap between them but the moment was ruined. They quickly pulled apart as Billy came bursting through the doorway. Their fingers were still laced but the atmosphere had been ruined and she had the urge to run from the kitchen.

"I'm going to go for a run," Raleigh said, standing from his spot as he finished eating. He came over to her and placed a kiss on top of her head before leaving the room. She immediately looked over at Billy and glared.

"Did I interrupt something?" He asked innocently.

"Oh don't act like you didn't mean to pipsqueak." She muttered under her breath. She got up and put her dish in the sink on her way out of the kitchen. Now she had to wait for tomorrow to come around. Instead of sitting around and waiting she went to their room where she planned to sleep.