Chapter 20 - Canceling the Apocalypse

They returned to the Shatterdome as soon as they could. They were released from the harnesses and she stumbled to her feet. The sensation of having her limbs in full control was odd. There was something missing now. That connection to Raleigh, she wished it could be like that all the time. She knew it wasn't the last time she would pilot with him and she looked forward to their next fight

They didn't bother changing and went in search of Stacker for their next instructions. The minute they stepped out of the locker room the crew of the Shatterdome erupted into loud cheers. Raleigh smirked at her and put an arm around her shoulders. They walked until the crowd became too much and a circle formed around them. Congratulations were being thrown out all around them. She looked up at Raleigh and smiled. She now understood everything he had told her and who he was as a person. She had fallen even more in love with the man beside her than she ever thought possible. Seeing the look in her eyes, Raleigh took a slight step back so he could gently hold her face in his armored hands and kiss her. The crowd of people went wild from the random gesture of affection and she couldn't help but laugh.

"Raleigh!" She heard Herc, yell and she pulled away from her husband to search for the older Aussie. The crowd hushed and separated so the pilot could get through. He was back in civilian clothes and his arm was in a sling. "My kid would never admit it, but he's grateful. We both are." Herc said, putting his hand out. Raleigh shakes his hand and turns slightly to look at Chuck. The younger Aussie gave him an appreciative nod that Raleigh returned.

"Becketts!" Stackers' voice carried over the crowd as he approached and from his tone, she thought they were in trouble. "In all of my years of fighting, I've never seen anything like that. Well done. I'm proud of you. Proud of us all. But, as harsh as it sounds, there is no time to celebrate. We lost two crews. No time to grieve." She looked at her husband and he gave a sad smile knowing that the man was right. "Reset that clock." No one moved for a moment and she noticed that a little bit of blood was coming from his nose. Catching his eye, she wiped under her nose to indicate to Pentecost, and he copied her movements. He quickly put a handkerchief to his nose and started walking off. "Reset that clock." He ordered. They stayed where they were for a few moments to let the crowd thin out.

"I'm proud of you," Raleigh said to her as they stood there. "You did good, real good."

"I had a good teacher." She replied, leaning up to peck him on the lips. "I'm going to go find our son and see how he is doing. I suspect there will be another attack soon."

"Alright, I'll see you soon." He told her and started to walk off. She too went her own way but stopped when he called out to her. "Analia!" She turned around and looked at him with a questioning look. "I love you." She smiled, he didn't say it often enough.

"I love you too." She replied.

"I hope he wasn't too fussy for you

"I hope he wasn't too fussy for you." She said as she entered the room to find Ezra asleep on the bed. Mako had moved to their room so that when they got back they wouldn't have to worry about waking him to move him.

"Not really. He asked a lot of questions. I'm not sure how much of the situation he is understanding." Mako told her. She nodded her head in agreement as she stood next to the bed. She didn't dare sit down with the heavy armor on. It would most definitely wake him. "After the test run you went on an errand...do you mind asking me what it was?" Mako tentatively asked.

"Stacker knows doesn't he?" She asked, looking over at the adopted daughter of her superior. The girl nodded and she sighed. "Nothing gets past that old man does it?"

"He's desperate so he won't say anything about it...though in other circumstances you would be benched." Mako said but trailed off as if thinking twice about what she was about to say.

"But you want to..." She guessed and sighed. "I know it's a risk but I'm not about to put piloting on hold while the world is ending." She knew Mako understood what she meant and wouldn't argue. "Do you know what is wrong with Stacker? I've noticed he gets bloody noses frequently and then takes a pill." She asked, desperate to change to the topic.

"He was one of the Mark 1 pilots and the engineers back then didn't really think about radiation poisoning from the cores. If he ever steps into a jaeger again he could die." Mako explained. "The pills he takes keep the side effects away but he's running out of time and medicine, the government stopped sending the medication when they stopped funding the jaeger program."

"I'm so sorry." She said, placing a hand on the girl's shoulder. Before Mako could reply the com system went off calling her to the hangar bay. The loud noise woke Ezra and she sighed, picking the boy up in her arms. His head fell to her shoulder as he mumbled in his sleep. She smiled and kissed his forehead as they left the room. Mako followed her to the hangar, where they ran into Raleigh.

"What's going on?" She asked him, shiting Ezra to her other hip.

"Two category 4 Kaiju are just sitting on the beach not doing anything." He told her, reaching out to run a gloved hand through their son's hair.

"Oi, Tendo. Tendo!" They heard Chuck yell. He was still in civilian clothes and leading Max on a leash.

"You're not suited up," Tendo observed.

"Yeah, I'm aware of that, Elvis. I need to know what's going on." Chuck demanded.

"I said, suit up. So suit up." Tendo ordered and started walking off, clearly having better things to do than manage the younger Hansen.

"Tendo, I can't pilot Striker on my own now, can I? Dad's hurt, so who's gonna be my co-pilot?" Chuck argued, following Tendo to where the four of us were standing. Tendo didn't get to reply as the hangar door opened, revealing Pentecost. He was in a pilot suit.

"Don't remember it being so tight," Stacker complained as he joined the small group, Herc behind him. She chuckled a little. Mako gave him a look and they took a moment to talk, away from the group. She looked at Raleigh, ready to explain but the look in his eyes told her that he already knew. They shared a sad look and Raleigh leaned down to place a kiss on Ezra's head. "Everyone! Listen up!" Stacker yelled out. Mako turned around and she could see the tears in her eyes. She would have comforted the young girl but now wasn't the time for it. The entire crew on the deck gathered around and listened intently to what he had to say. "Today...today...at the edge of our hope, at the end of our time, we have chosen not only to believe in ourselves but in each other. Today there's not a man nor woman in here that shall stand alone. Not today. Today we face the monsters that are at our door and bring the fight to them! Today we are canceling the apocalypse!"