Chapter 19 - This Is For Real

"Do you think Ezra will be okay?" She asked as they got strapped in.

"I'm sure he'll be just fine sweetheart. Try to focus on the task." He told her and she bobbed her head. "This is for real, baby. Focus."

"Gipsy ready for the big drop!" Raleigh told Tendo and the con-pod was suddenly released. She squealed slightly at the feeling in her stomach and Raleigh just laughed at her. The landing was sudden and it jarred her body.

"Initiating drift," Tendo said and she closed her eyes to breathe. The next thing she knew she could feel her husband in her head. Their memories began to mix and meld together. She could hear his thoughts feel everything in his body and she prayed that what she was hiding would stay hidden.

"Right hemisphere calibrating. " Raleigh said, raising his arms up into a fighting stance.

"Left hemisphere calibrating." She said following his movements.

"Drift holding steady and very strong. Much stronger than the first time." Tendo told them. She looked over at her husband and smiled. This was for real this time and there was no going back. Do or die. 

Gipsy was moved to the loading bay and she could hear people outside the con-pod yelling orders as they hooked up the cables to carry Gipsy out of the Shatterdome. It didn't take long and soon they were hanging from 18 different military-grade choppers. They could see Striker being circled by the Kaiju and her heart rate picked up. The beast was at least two times their size and moved around much as a gorilla would. The lights from the Shatterdome caught the attention of the Kaiju and it turned towards them as they were dropped from the cables. They landed in the water and took a fighting stance.

"Alright sweetheart, deep breath calm your mind. This is for real. No room for mistakes. Think of this as another spar only were on the same team." He told her and she nodded. She took a deep breath and closed her eyes momentarily, focusing on the task at hand. She opened her eyes and gave Raleigh a nod.

The Kaiju charged forward like a football player ready to tackle his opponent. At the last second, they spun out of the way and grabbed the back of the Kaiju. She focused in on the odd, ball-shaped bump on its back. Raleigh caught on and with a hard tug, they ripped it from the beast's back. It faced them and roared, clearly pissed off before it wrapped its arms around them. And threw Gipsy towards land like a rag doll.

She couldn't help the startled shriek that came out of her mouth as they flew through the air. Gipsy landed on its left shoulder, her shoulder, and she cried out from the pain that went up to her arm. But she stayed focused as they tucked into the roll and came up into a crouch as they skidded to a stop.

"You alright?" He asked her as she shook her head to clear the fuzziness.

"Yea. Hella of a first drive." She chuckled, seeing the Kaiju climbing out of the water and onto the cargo bay deck. Despite the situation, she was actually enjoying herself. The connection between her and Raleigh and the machine was unreal and knowing she was saving the Hong Kong port motivated her.

"Come on! Let's do this together!" Raleigh yelled. They rushed towards the Kaiju and at the last minute jumped towards their enemy with a metallic fist raised. The blow went to the head, knocking it to the ground. With the Kaiju stunned they grabbed one of the horns and began punch in the beast in the face repeatedly.

"Elbow rocket!" Raleigh yelled.

"Elbow rocket engaged." Gipsy's AI informed them.

"Now!" Raleigh yelled. Their arm locked into place and with the help of the elbow rocket, they punched the Kaiju square in the face, knocking it backwards. As it recovered it came back at them with a crane, bashing Gipsy's left shoulder. Again, pain shot through her arm but she choked down the pain and simply pushed forward. She couldn't let Raleigh down. The kaiju then used the crane to hit them again, the left side taking the brunt of the force. Raleigh cried out and they fell back. Quick on their feet despite the massive weight they were controlling they leaned down and grabbed a handful of cargo containers in each hand. With makeshift weapons in each hand, they whipped around and began punching the creature left and right. The Kaiju fell back, and they took the advantage, grabbing the beast by the underarms and throwing it.