~ Chapter Ten ~

------------------ ~☽ ◯ ☾~ ------------------

~ Chapter Ten ~

"Hot blood drumming on your skin it's so tight. You feel my heat I'm just a moment behind. My mouth is alive with juices like wine and I'm hungry like the wolf."

Hungry Like the Wolf, Duran Duran

------------------ ~☽ ◯ ☾~ ------------------

Every footstep sent a chill down my spine. He was going to kill Conan. Hot, shaky tears streamed down my cheeks as I pushed at Conan, begging him to leave. It was only a few seconds before Maicoh's looming figure blocked the doorway. Morgan had fled. He was livid. Every muscle shook with a powerful energy, like he was trying to conceal a tempest inside him. He bared his fangs as Conan moved to stand between us.

"Didn't I warn you once pup?" He snarled, his fiery eyes burning with pure hatred. I shrunk into the chair. Conan squared his shoulders.

"So. Are you going to kill me?" Conan probed, egging him on. I forced my stiff limbs to lift me from the cushions as Maicoh let out a dark growl that made my blood run cold.

"I'm going to rip you to pieces." I reached out to pull Conan back. He cast me a sorrowful glance, strangely rife with guilt, but I focused on Maicoh.

"Stop Maicoh. Please." I pleaded with him. He trained his eyes on Conan's arm as it wrapped around me protectively.

"Don't you fucking touch her!" He yelled abruptly. Conan snarled as Maicoh stepped closer. I screamed as their bodies clashed. They squirmed in each others grip and Maicoh slammed Conan against the wall, the sickening crack of breaking bones causing my stomach to churn.

"Stop! Stop!" I shrieked. Conan ignored the pain as he yanked Maicoh's hair back, biting deep into the exposed flesh of his shoulder. I arched as a searing pain tore through my body. Maicoh staggered back, his eyes seeking mine, wide with concern. Suddenly the agony ceased as I felt him erect a wall between us, preventing me from feeling his pain through our bond. His jaw tightened as his focus returned to Conan, a fiery loathing consuming his features. Squaring his shoulders he caught Conan around the neck as he advanced, seemingly ignorant to his wounds and used his motion to slam him against the floor.

A demonic smile spread across his face as he revelled in the sharp cry of pain which arose as Conan's skull cracked against the floor. Maicoh was gone. All that was left was his wolf and he was not afraid to kill Conan. Conan moaned and tried to lift himself from the floor but Maicoh kicked him in the back. I shrieked as his spine bent awkwardly eliciting an inhumane wail of agony.

Without a second thought I threw myself onto the floor, protecting Conan's crippled form from Maicoh's looming figure. He snarled as he stepped back, loosening his fist as even his wolf recognised me as his.

"Get out of the way Maeve." He growled, his deep guttural voice sending shivers down my spine. So this was the animal within, his wolf. I shook my head, the constant stream of tears causing my voice to tremble.

"No. I won't let you hurt him anymore." Maicoh fists clenched once more and his eyes flickered between Conan and I. Finally his eyes focused on my face and I felt myself pleading with him.

"Don't to this to him. Don't do this to us." His brow creased as he closed his eyes and concentrated on calming down. The rhythm of his heaving chest began to slow and when he finally opened his eyes they were clear grey. A soft smile touched my lips as relief flooded through me. His eyes suddenly hardened.