~ Chapter Twenty-Three ~

------------------ ~☽ ◯ ☾~ ------------------

~ Chapter Twenty-Three ~

"The world was on fire and no one could save me but you.
It's strange what desire will make foolish people do.
I'd never dreamed that I'd meet somebody like you,
And I'd never dreamed that I'd lose somebody like you."

Wicked Game, Ursine Vulpine ft. Annaca

------------------ ~☽ ◯ ☾~ ------------------

"Why did Alpha Convel place seashells at Alessia's feet?" I murmured as I braided my hair. Roisin's eyes widened and she looked over her shoulder to make sure nobody was listening. Her fingers touched my lips, silencing any further questions.

"It's a tradition of the old ways, Maeve." She whispered. I opened my mouth to speak but she waved away my attempt to speak.

"If anyone found out Alpha Convel could be trialled for practicing the old religion. At the same time, nobody is going to remove them." She stared at me meaningfully.

"Do not speak of it again." She chastised. I frowned but her glare diminished the courage required to push the matter. I sighed. My eyes wandered from her face to trail her mane of silk white hair. Her eyes shone with amusement when she caught me looking.

"Strange isn't it? Doesn't seem like I'm old enough to have gone white so early." She murmured as she touched the delicate strands.

"That's because I was born like this." My brows arched in shock. She shook her head at my ignorance.

"Haven't you heard of being moonkissed?" She asked in astonishment. My jaw tightened as I thought about all the traditions that everyone seemed to have neglected to tell me.

"It would seem that there are a lot of things I haven't heard of." I muttered coldly. I reached out a hand to touch her shimmery hair. The fading afternoon sun peered through the lounge room windows. I stared in awe as the wispy strands seemed to glow like starlight.

"Is it a blessing?" I asked in wonderment. Roisin cocked her head thoughtfully.

"I wouldn't know. Nobody knows really." She replied absentmindedly as she twisted her fingers through her hair.

"We are very rare. I have only ever heard of one other who has been moonkissed. I have never been able to meet her though." She stared out the window, her eyes awash with longing.

"Who is she?" I questioned curiously. Roisin sighed.

"Avelin Valles." I tensed as I recognised the name.

"Valles?" Roisin nodded.

"Daughter of Ulric Valles, leader of the Northern packs." She affirmed.

"Is it really that bad?" I mused as I lowered myself into one of the plush lounge chairs and lifted my feet to tuck them in beside me. We basked in the comfortable silence.

"Unfortunately so." Roisin confirmed bitterly. I smiled as, despite the encroaching darkness, Roisin's hair seemed to be lit from within. Everything in this place felt dead, everything but for her. I felt my stomach twist with unease as my eyes were drawn to the ghostly sheets hung about the room. My Stag moved within me, warming me with its glowing presence. I eased into the chair and closed my eyes. My thoughts danced around my mind, flowing into one another as I tried to pretend I was somewhere else. I felt a tingling heat climb up my neck as a pair of quicksilver eyes flashed in my mind.