~ Chapter Twenty-Five ~

------------------ ~☽ ◯ ☾~ ------------------

~ Chapter Twenty-Five ~

"What big eyes you have
The kind of eyes that drive wolves mad
Just to see that you don't get chased
I think I oughta walk with you for a ways

What full lips you have
They're sure to lure someone bad
So until you get to Grandma's place
I think you oughta walk with me and be safe

Gonna keep my sheep suit on
'Til I'm sure that you've been shown
That I can be trusted walking with you alone"

Little Red Riding Hood, Amanda Seyfried

------------------ ~☽ ◯ ☾~ ------------------

Lydia froze and pulled away. She held my shoulders as she took in my bedraggled appearance.

"Maeve..." her voice trailed off as her hands dropped away. She swallowed.

"What on earth happened?" I stared at her emptily as she wiped her hands on her jeans. Diana flew down the stairs in a billowing whirlwind of fury. Her eyes brewed with a formidable storm as she nudged Lydia aside and took my face in her hands.

"Maeve. What happened?" She bit out slowly as she stared into my eyes. I tried to open my mouth to speak but all that came out was a pathetic croak. I registered the slam of the car door behind me. Diana's eyes snapped to focus on something over my shoulder.

"She needs to rest." Maicoh greeted curtly as his hand slid up my back. A light breath of air touched my cheek as Alpha Convel stalked past the welcome entourage and climbed the steps to the house without so much as a sideward glance. Diana turned to address him directly.

"I let her go for a few days and you return her like this?" she screamed. Alpha Convel froze. He glared at her over his shoulder.

"She's not my mate." he snapped brazenly. Diana hissed but he ignored her as he disappeared into the pack house. Diana returned her focus to me. I stared at her blankly.

"What happened my dear?" she questioned softly as she brushed the hair away from my face. Lydia assessed me worriedly.

"I'll call on Morgan." she informed us before running back into the house. I couldn't look Diana in the eye. I knew that if I did I would burst into tears. I bristled as my Stag steeled my resolve. I was done with crying.

"I just want to sleep." I managed to croak. Diana's lips tightened and she squeezed my shoulders reassuringly.

"You will." She did not press me any further. Her gaze snapped to Maicoh.