~ Chapter Twelve ~

------------------ ~☽ ◯ ☾~ ------------------

~ Chapter Twelve ~

"I'm laying down, eating snow

My fur is hot, my tongue is cold

A lot of hope in a one man tent

There's no room for innocence

So take me home before the storm."

Keep The Streets Empty For Me, Fever Ray

  ------------------ ~☽ ◯ ☾~ ------------------  

The academy was as beautiful as it was intimidating. An imposing structure of stone and brick shaped in a Colonial Revival style, it was placed in the centre of the southern pack territories and was one of the most defensible points in the south. It was the academy which trained wolf young to take their place in the pack. It educated Alpha's to wield authority and prioritise their pack. It trained everyone else to remain subservient to their Alpha, thus, preserving the hierarchy of power. It was very rare, and even frowned upon, for an Alpha to be challenged by anyone other than their eldest son. I shrunk in my seat as Maicoh swerved past the iron gates and into the carpark. Everyone stopped to stare.

Maicoh didn't seem to notice the whispers, the glinting eyes or the subtle nods from some of the boys, either that, or he didn't care. The engine ground to a halt and it was only then that he noticed my tense body. His hand brushed my cheek, causing my eyes to flicker from the crowd of curious wolves to him.

"You shouldn't be afraid, this is the safest place you could possibly be. As the future head of the southern packs, you are their Alphress now." I nodded. The possibility of getting attacked was practically zero, but, I still felt like somebody was watching, waiting. He kissed my forehead before stepping out of the car.  Grudgingly, I followed. The second I closed the door, Maicoh's arm was wrapped around my waist. I arched an eyebrow as I looked up to see him eyeing off a group of males hanging around the pillared entrance. I chuckled, a soft smile gracing my lips. He frowned as he looked down.

"What?" he quipped.

"I thought this was the safest place I could possibly be?" He grunted.

"Safe from everything but temptation." I scoffed.

"I'm not tempted by them." I assured him. He scanned the crowd of students, his eyes narrowing at a couple of unmated males watching me covertly.

"No, it is they who are tempted by you. Your scent hasn't quite worn off." As if to prove his point he muzzled my neck, breathing in shakily. I squirmed.

"Not here." I murmured. He slowly pulled away to stare at me intently.

"I find your modesty attractive." He eventually confessed matter-of-factly. I sighed and distracted myself by righting my hastily assembled outfit. He watched in thinly veiled amusement as I perfected my uniform, buttoning the white blouse and rearranging my black skirt so it sat at my waist. He tugged it gingerly and I slapped his hand away.

"You don't have to wear it so high." He muttered. I flicked my hair to the side as I pulled my collar out and straightened it over the woolly cardigan. He growled in dissatisfaction and quickly moved my hair to cover my neck again. I moved to tug at my stockings but his hand prevented me from going anywhere near my upper thighs. I opened my mouth to vent my annoyance but quickly shut it.