~ Chapter Sixteen ~

------------------  ~☽ ◯ ☾~  ------------------

~ Chapter Sixteen ~

"A clouded dream on an earthly night
Hangs upon the crescent moon
A voiceless song in an ageless light
Sings at the coming dawn
Birds in flight are calling there
Where the heart moves the stones
It's there that my heart is calling
All for the love of you."

Mystics Dream, Loreena McKennitt

------------------  ~☽ ◯ ☾~  ------------------

I groaned as I shifted on the lounge, my bones aching in protest as I moved from one awkward position to another. The crisp covers of the bed shone in the moonlight but I could not bring myself to lie among them. The bed smelled of Maicoh, his musky scent pervaded the entire room but under the covers I was completely encased by him. I frowned as my chest constricted, the bond coiling around me as my thoughts drifted to my mate, my master, my Alpha. I squeezed my eyes shut and waited for the nauseating throbbing to cease. I rubbed my temples, abandoning the lounge and escaping out onto the balcony. The waning moon illuminated the forest in its pale unearthly light, catching the undersides of the leaves as they shivered in the breeze like a thousand silver coins. My Stag inhaled thankfully and I arched my neck, letting the fresh air brush against my skin.

My mind drifted to thoughts of Faolan, his cheeky grin, his cascading laughter, the way he ran through the trees like a wood sprite. He was the earth, the air I breathed, the clearness of the day. He understood me better then Maicoh, or even my own brother could simply because he had been there for me for all those years. I sighed disconsolately and wrapped my arms around myself, imagining they were his. A crystal tear slid down my cheek and my Stag twitched its head as it recognised my sorrow and was discomforted by it.

"I'm so alone." I whispered. I looked towards the starry night sky, a velvet blanket embedded with a thousand sequins. Nobody understood, not even Faolan, or Diana.

I understand. My Stag murmured softly. A sob broke my composure and I slid down onto the floor, gripping the railing of the balcony as I tried to control myself.

"Do you? It's because of you I am this way." I muttered coldly. My Stag curled within me, a glowing warmth flooding my insides.

I only want to protect you. It soothed, it doe eyes gazing into mine, wide and innocent. I laughed hollowly.

"How much easier it might have been if you had died." My Stag shrunk away from me, whinnying and shaking its head. Hot tears began to slide down my cheeks as my Stag strained against me. I held my head in my hands, my fingernails digging into my skin.

"How much easier it would have been if you didn't make me have to lie to everyone. What I would do to just be able to rip you from my heart!" I snapped as my hands moved to my chest. I could feel the bond and my Stag like a weight in my ribcage, bearing down on me, making it difficult to breathe. I felt like digging into my flesh and pouring everything out, releasing the sadness, the stress, the bond, my Stag, until I was completely empty. The bond coiled around my heart.

You lie because they would take me away from you. You lie because you don't want me to leave. My Stag whispered. My lip trembled as I felt my Stags' presence increase, it was as if I felt the heat of its slow breathes, saw the moon shine on its golden fur, smell the scent of the wild drifting from its body.