~ Chapter Five ~

------------------ ~☽ ◯ ☾~ ------------------

~ Chapter Five ~

"For the strength of the pack is the wolf and the strength of the wolf is the pack."

Rudyard Kipling

------------------ ~☽ ◯ ☾~ ------------------

I tensed as everyone watched me from their seats at the long redwood table. Steam rose from the silver dishes brimming with bacon, eggs and toast. I glanced at father, expecting his face to contort into an ugly display of anger as he reprimanded my relationship with Faolan. I clenched my fists in anticipation but the smile of content didn't fade from his features. My eyes slid to Maicoh. He watched me carefully but his features were unreadable. Nathalie Adolphas slid into the seat next to my mother leaving the only seat left next to Maicoh. I lowered myself onto the chair, keenly aware of Maicoh's eyes on me. Conan sat across from me and shot me a questioning glance, one eyebrow raised.

So, what's this all about?

I looked down at the table, sighing. I unfolded my napkin and laid it on my lap.

Maicoh seems to be under the impression that I will be his by the end of full moon.

Conan's gaze drifted around the table momentarily.

He's not the only one.

"Maeve, aren't you going to say good morning?" My fathers' stern voice broke our timid conversation. My spine stiffened as I felt Maicoh move beside me, placing a hand on the table as he put down his knife. I felt my leg muscles coil as my Stag tensed. I coughed quietly before turning to face him.

"Good morning Maicoh Adolphas. I hope you slept well?" I managed to murmur. Maicoh's eyes trailed across my cool demeanour, as I averted my own disinterestedly. His hair was still damp from his morning shower. My eyes trailed back to watch him as I remembered Faolan. It was obvious he hadn't told my parents of last night. 

Why would Maicoh, future Alpha Adolphas, let me get away with an act which would have resulted in humiliating punishment for Faolan and I? He could have ordered a public whipping. He could have forced me to mate with another and strip me of my title. He could have exiled us both. My thoughts flitted back to the agony of last night. My heart ached with guilt and worry. Maicoh twisted his body to face mine and nodded in acknowledgment.

"I slept incredibly well, better than usual actually." He replied smoothly. His grey eyes seemed to glow but his facial features remained neutral.

Of all the conversation starters, you chose that. You obviously have no idea how the male mind works. If anything you just encouraged him.

I shot Conan a dirty look as he shook his head sadly.

Shut up.

"May I ask the same of you? I trust you slept well." He probed.

"Fine." I turned on my chair and diverted my attention to the food, not even sparing Maicoh a glance as I stared at the tablecloth. A very long, very awkward silence discouraged any further attempts at conversation. I glanced up to meet my mothers stony gaze, her lips set in a thin line of disapproval. Lydia giggled from my other side as she deposited some eggs onto her plate, watching me from the corner of her eye. I tried to hide my uneasiness but obviously it became apparent because it was Nathalie that broke the void.

"Are you enjoying school Maeve?" She queried, her voice so natural and flowing it reminded me of chiming bells. She had been a Golden Stag after all. Once you were Golden you never really lose your charm. Everyone's eyes turned to me. I stopped myself from gulping.