~ Chapter Twenty ~

------------------ ~☽ ◯ ☾~ ------------------

~ Chapter Twenty ~

"From a boreen green came a sweet colleen

And she smiled as she passed me by

She looked so sweet from her two bare feet

To the sheen of her nut-brown hair

Such a coaxing elf, sure I shook myself

For to see I was really there."

The Star of the County Down, Loreena McKennitt

------------------ ~☽ ◯ ☾~ ------------------

I stared out the window, assessing the usual formation of warriors with disinterest. Julius cut an authoritative figure as he stood at the head of the group, his sharp eyes noting every move each warrior made. They moved with immaculate precision, bending and twisting their bodies with inhuman speed as they performed at his will. It was a strange dance that was at once mesmerising and frightening. I perused their flexing muscles, their straining backs, their clenched jaws as they performed, at one moment gracefully evading and the next abruptly stabbing forward, then retreating once more and repeating. My Stag moved within me, excited by the challenge of a pack of wolves. I rubbed my temple tiredly, my brow creasing in annoyance.

A flash of colour broke my thoughts as my eyes were drawn to the humble figure of Agatha as she walked past the warriors, her arms heavy with rich, exotic fabrics. Without thinking I left my perch on the windowsill and flew to the hallway, grabbing a lace shawl to drape over my day dress. I quickly descended the veranda stairs, briskly skirting around the warriors in the courtyard. I ignored their hesitance as their eyes diverted from their training. Julius watched with an arched brow as I swerved around him, responding to my shy smile with a cool nod.

"Agatha!" I called attentively. The woman in front of me paused, turning to observe my advancing figure, pleasant surprise evident in her forest green eyes.

"Ah Alphress! It is pleasant to see you again." she called heartily. I smiled warmly.

"Where are you going?" I inquired, my eyes drawn to the bundles of fabric in her arms. She began walking once more, a spring in her step as I fell in line with her.

"We're preparing the decorations for Beltane. Seeing as Alpha Maicoh has been mated we expect it will be the most extravagant celebration yet." she informed me.

"It won't be held in the courtyard?" I mused, glancing back at the warriors as they returned to their training with vigour.

"Why of course it will be!" Agatha's voice rung through the air, causing me to jump.

"Alpha Julius never allows us to decorate the courtyard until the day before the first day of summer as is the tradition." I glanced at her quizzically. Her smile faltered.

"My dear it is very bad luck to prepare for the oncoming season too early. It does the Goddess injustice, we must always remember the death of the Horned God." she murmured on a sombre note.

"I have not been to a Beltane festival since I was very young, I don't remember much." I confessed. Her eyes lit up with excitement as I followed her into the small pack hall.

"Beltane is my favourite festival, there is dancing, feasting, fires and the great maypole."

"Among many other happenings." Iiva chimed in. I turned just in time to catch her wink. The modest hall was lined with crudely carved wooden tables. Iiva sat hunched on a bench, her gnarled hands rising to gather the fabric from Agatha's arms. The hall which had only a moment ago been alive with laughter had fallen into silence. I lowered myself beside Iiva, avoiding the sea of inquisitive eyes. Agatha shot them a comical look of annoyance and waving at them to return to their work. What began as hesitant whispers soon swelled into deep conversation. Women sat at the tables, threading fabrics into long colourful plaits, while the young women swayed between the tables, counting each step as they practised their folk dances. A group of girls were congregated in the middle of the hall. Standing in a circle hand-in-hand they moved in a slow graceful rhythm, one counting out the steps as each girl rose and fell synonymously.