Chapter 28 - A Guy Walks Into a Bar

CHAPTER 28

CARLY

It was only a few minutes later when I heard the creaking of the barn door, followed shortly by heavy footfalls against the old wooden floorboards. I immediately assumed it was John coming back so I spun on my heels to greet him.

My mouth went slack, unspoken words getting caught in my throat. I couldn't hide the disappointment on my face when I saw my cousin making his way over to me with his dusty blond hair, his green eyes and that scruffy beard he insisted on not shaving.

"Hey Car, I saw the lights on, figured you'd be in here... Your ranch hand almost ran me over on his way out of the driveway... guy's got a case of the road rage or somethin'... anyway, I figured I'd come over... check on ya... it's been a while... How're you?" he asked cheerfully.

"Oh, I'm fine," I smiled at him as he came and wrapped his arms around my shoulders in a quick hug.

"Good, good," Dale grinned, strolling right over to Calamity's stall and peering in at the young foal. "Callie's lookin' good... you started halter trainin' her yet?" he added.

"Not yet, but we've been takin' her out... been usin' a lead rope, she's pretty good with that... Right now I'm gettin' her used to other horses and bein' handled by humans... that sort of stuff. She's a little firecracker, that's for sure... John picked her name well," I answered, grateful for the distraction. I stood next to him and watched the young horse.

"Speakin' of the ranch hand, I've uh... heard somethin' in town the other day... Actually, I've been hearin' a bit of talk..." Dale said, looking a little sheepish. He ran his fingers through his hair and shifted his weight from one boot to the other.

"You have?" I asked, playing dumb.

Four months; that's how long John and I had been together at that point, and yet I still hadn't told Dale or my Uncle Scott about our relationship. I didn't know why... it's not like I had anything to be ashamed of... I was just... worried they'd react poorly.

I knew I had to tell them sooner rather than later, especially now that there was a third party added to the equation.

"People are sayin' you two are uh... shackin' up together... and I mean, I get none of it is true, I do, but some of the stuff people are sayin' is gettin' pretty out there... so maybe you should, y'know, reconsider havin' him around so much. Get him to get his own place off the property maybe," he shrugged.

He meant well, I had to remind myself of that and keep my emotions in check.

"Actually, uh... John and I have been seein' each other recently," I admitted after a lengthy pause, deciding that beating around the bush would likely only make things harder in the end.

"How long's that been goin' on?" Dale asked as his brow furrowed.

"A while... Four months," I answered sheepishly.

Dale was stunned into silence, which didn't happen very often with him. He was looking at me like I just announced I was going on a one-way trip to Mars.

"Four months and you're just tellin' me this now?" Dale huffed.

"I'm sorry!" I said quickly, unsure why I was feeling the need to defend myself. "It happened pretty fast and... I knew you and your dad would get all over-protective! You pretty much made David crap his pants when I started datin' him," I told him defiantly.