Chapter 38 - Hey Good Lookin'

CHAPTER 38

JOHN

"Are ya Mr. Atwood?"

"In a manner of speakin'," I replied with a chuckle, making my way out of the barn towards an old red truck that'd seen better days. The owner was a guy in his early twenties about my height, with a white cowboy hat, a scruffy blond beard, worn boots and a firm handshake. "Travis Mann?" I asked.

"Yes sir," the guy replied.

"Don't call me sir," I said sternly, hiding a smirk.

"Sorry," he apologized, looking nervous.

I was fighting back laughter, forcing my face into a serious mask despite the immense enjoyment this was bringing me. I wondered if this was how Steven felt when he first hired me twelve years ago: the awkward, nervous teenager fresh out of high school.

"I'm John Kessler, Carly's fiancé. She's the boss lady 'round here... and by the way, you're also gonna wanna call her ma'am at all times," I added, gesturing back towards the barn, glad my back was to him for a moment as my serious expression faltered. I started walking and he followed like a lost puppy.

Carly was younger than he was by at least three or four years, so I knew for a fact that she wouldn't appreciate being called ma'am, not by him, not by anyone. Of course, he didn't know that now, did he?

"She'll be home in a bit to talk to ya... until then I can show you around. Have you got any experience workin' on a ranch?" I asked him, recalling the first conversation I'd ever had with Carly's father.

"I helped around my granddaddy's farm in Oklahoma most summers," he explained, gaining a bit of confidence as we stepped into the barn and I started showing him around. "I know my way around horses though... I run the rodeo circuit... bronc ridin'... You might've heard of me... I ranked second at the Stockyards Championship Rodeo last year," he shrugged, trying – and failing – to seem modest.

"Impressive," I said, which had him grinning like a pompous idiot. The look was wiped clean off his face when I went on: "Those eight seconds don't mean much here though; and you ain't gonna have a crowd screamin' you're name when you're fillin' up water troughs or shovelin' horse shit either," I told him pointedly.

He didn't like me very much, I could tell. I didn't give a damn though, I was having fun.

CARLY

I arrived huffing and puffing, my face probably tomato red as I rushed as fast as my belly would let me towards the barn.

I could feel the awkward tension between the two men the second I walked in. I stopped dead in my tracks, watching them for a split-second. I could've sworn John smirked at me.

Oh God, I thought. What did he do?

I took a breath.

"Hi, I'm Carly, you must be Travis Mann, we spoke on the phone," I said, holding out my hand. He gripped it, his eyes wandering to my pregnant belly. "It's nice to meet you," I said, pretending I hadn't noticed the weird look on his face, like he was surprised to see me.

"You too, uh... ma'am," he said with a curt nod.

John smirked behind Travis' back and excused himself, giving me a quick kiss hello before striding over to the house to start dinner.