Chapter 43 - Going Home

CHAPTER 43

JOHN

It wasn't easy being away from Addie for too long; I could handle a few hours, but then I started missing her too much and I had to go back there to hold her again. Carly was usually by my side whenever we went over to the hospital, but on one evening at the beginning of May, Carly was out with Maisy and a couple of their girlfriends, so I made my way alone into the NICU.

"Just gonna be you tonight?" Nora grinned.

"Mm, Carly's in Dallas with a couple friends," I replied. "So I get this little one all to myself..." I grinned, peering into Addie's cradle. "Yes I do... Hi there... you're so damn cute," I gushed. Careful not to tear the IV or the sensor taped to her, I swept her up into my arms.

She immediately began to wail. A few weeks ago that would've horrified me and I would've quickly handed her off to one of the nurses, but I was getting to know the difference between my daughter's cries, including her I'm-in-a-pissy-mood cry.

"You're in a bad mood tonight, huh?" I cooed in a completely emasculating baby voice that made Nora smile every time she heard it.

I made my way towards the rocking chair in a corner of the room and let her rest against my chest, stroking her back. "I know... I know... you'd rather spend time with your friends than with your dad... totally uncool right? Well tough luck, sweetheart," I smirked, rocking her gently as her cries tuned into cute little whimpers.

A few days later, May 7th to be exact, was Carly's 21st birthday.

After fifty-two days in the NICU, May 7th was also the day we were finally bringing Addie home for the first time. On the eve of her coming home, Carly and I were running around like chickens with our heads cut off, trying to make sure everything was good to go.

The nursery was complete, right down to Addie's name painted in bright pink above her crib. Carly had a baby shower a few weeks ago, so we were good on diapers for at least a month; we had toys and clothes by the box full; the whole house was baby-proofed; we had bottled breastmilk in the fridge since Addie was too damn picky and didn't like feeding straight from Carly's breast...

I collapsed in bed the night before we were supposed to take Addie home, feeling pretty confident about our preparations. We'd made it through so much already, so the homecoming should be a piece of cake.

Speaking of cake...

"It's two minutes after midnight," I pointed out as Carly slipped into bed next to me.

"Mhm," she murmured, not quite realizing what I was saying, or perhaps too exhausted or nervous – or both – to make the connection.

"Happy birthday," I grinned.

"Oh right, thank you," Carly giggled as I leaned over and pressed my lips to hers. The kiss turned hot quickly and I pulled her in closer so that her side of the bed and mine didn't quite exist anymore. She cupped my face with her hands and I let mine wander down her side to settle on her hip.

We hadn't done this in a really long while – since early March actually, and it was safe to say I wanted her bad. It felt good to be this close to her again, to know that despite all of the craziness we could still be us.

"Did you put the car seat in the truck?" Carly asked when my mouth left hers to roam down her neck, nipping at the skin I found there.

"Carly," I groaned.