Grievers

I saw something that crushed my heart. Newt was huddled and kept an argue with someone. They talked in whispered voices. Apparently that other voice I heard the other night, was Tobias. My Tobias. His head nodded sideways, whatever it was him and Newt talked about, it seemed he did not agree. That thought made me a little better, but it also kinda stung. He knew something, and would not tell me. The other night when the one voice said, 'especially not her,' I soon realized that 'her' was me.

My blood boiled inside of me. I was furious. How could he not have the audacity to tell me! We told each other everything. I did not know if I could ever speak to him again. I started to cry, as I ran back into the Homestead, and up the stairs. I stormed into my room and slammed my body on top of my bed. The anger swelled inside me. I kept thinking that maybe the reason why Tobias did not tell me was because he did not trust me. Yeah that's it, Tobias does not trust me.

The tears swarmed my face and poured out onto my pillow. Great, let me drown in my wallowed tears. I thought my life was over. He did not even love me enough to trust me. I sobbed louder than ever. But then, someone placed their hand on my back. They rubbed my back and sat on the edge of my bed.

When I turned my neck to see who it was, I was comforted by Emery's warm smile. I appreciated her being there. She was my best friend and it was nice to have her there.

"Hey, Tris what's going on? You know you can always talk to me."

"Hey, Emery. Sorry, it's just that Tobias made me mad. He and Newt were talking a couple days ago, and today. They keep saying that no one can know. They are keeping secrets about who knows what. It just bothered me that Tobias doesn't trust me for him to tell me."

"Tris, he does trust you. I've seen you two together, he adores you. How can you ever think otherwise?"

"I don't know. But why would he just keep something from me?"

"Well, that you have to ask him, but it is probably something that would legitimately cause harm. That is the most logical reason I can think of, anyways." She said as she pulled my hair from my lips.

"Thanks, Emery. You know exactly what to say. I will just have to talk with him. If you'll excuse me, I'm going to go shower..." I gave her a hug and she returned the gesture. As I walked out, I ran into Tobias,  literally ran into him. My body slammed into his chest, for he happened to walk by just as I Exited.

The thought of even looking at him burned my eyes. He smiled at me, clueless of the situation at hand. I punched him, hard in the stomach. But, he did not flinch, nor did he retaliate. He just stood with concerned eyes.

"Tris, please talk to me. What's wrong?"

"Oh like you don't know? You have been keeping something hidden from me, I heard you and Newt talk for the past three days. How can you not trust me?"

"Tris, I trust you. How can you ever feel that I don't? Yes, I have been keeping secrets, but they were for the best. There are secrets in life that people just can't know, for it will damage them! But don't ever think for a second that I don't trust you, because I do. You deserve to know everything!" He said. His voice got louder. Spit flung from his lips and landed on my foot. I did not react because I was too frustrated.

"Then why would you make it seem like you don't! Gosh Tobias..." My words were cut off by a sudden sound. It was a loud thundered sound. The Homestead was frantic. Gladers ran back and forth up and down the stairs. Something just happened. Everyone came to running up the stairs and ran into rooms. I even saw Emery run into our bedroom with Newt. They carried wooden planks. "This is not over Tobias." I said as I ran back to my room. I just ignored his shouts of my name to come back.

Emery frantically pounded nails into boards that hung over our window. They covered every inch of the opening. So much that no light peeked through,  except for the little cracks where the boards joined together. Their was commotion everywhere. Apparently I'm every room, it was the same environment. Everyone boarded up windows, and barricaded the walls. The shouts and darkness combined to form something most frightening.

"Grab weapons! Find whatever you can and bloody use it!" I heard Newt yell.  He clutched Emery's hand, probably out of fear. Everyone prepared. Minho and Thomas had lamps. Tobias and Frypan carried sharp looking spheres. And I had nothing. I went up to Emery and asked what was going on.

"Tris, Grievers have attacked. The farmers were just out, doing there job, when they saw a bunch of cracks open. They were maze walls. It seemed that they all created doors. They Glade opened up from every wall. Just like the main door. And then, all of these Grievers came out. They surrounded every wall, and forced everyone inside the Homestead." Her voice was frantic. But, I was terrified. Too much to process. Grievers actually attacking the Glade? It was night time.

That thought swirled through my mind. I hurried around in search of my own weapon. I found nothing, of course. But then, a sharp claw jabbed its way through a wooden plank. The Grievers were here.