Two

*flash back to a month after skylars dad died*
The house was dark and eerily silent. Gabriel, Ella and I were hidden in a cupboard. There was a strange guy in our house looking for mom. Ella let out a cry. I threw my hand over he mouth. we haven't seen our mother in days. Her coping mechanisms aren't like mine our my brother or sister. She turned to drugs. It hasn't been a positive outcome. I heard heavy footsteps coming near the cabinet. I thought he was going to leave. But he just stood in front of the cabinet.

I heard him dial numbers on his phone. His voice was deep and husky. It dripped with power. "The bitch isn't here she took our money, our drugs and fled. There's no sign of where she was going." He stopped probably to listen to the person on the other line. "Her name is Lana Grenne." It finally dawned on me did our mom leave us? I heard hike end the call. He was furious. He threw the table over and trashed our house. He had a gallon of gasoline. I could see through the crack he had made in the cabinet. I had to stop him.

I opened the cabinet door and stepped out. He looked at me with a furry ridden face. "Please don't do this we have already lost a lot. We can't afford to loose more." He stepped closer to me. I wasn't going to back up. I had to stand my ground. His heavy warm alcohol smelling breathe was now on my face. "Let me give you a message to forward to your mother." He spat in a kind of slurred tone. He pushed me on the floor. And kicked me multiple times. I was screaming part from agonizing pain and part because my siblings had to stay just a few feet away from me, and had to watch this guy hurt me.

*present day*
"Gabriel, Ella get up." My fifteen year olds brothers eyes opened immediately. He was the easiest to wake up. "You have work in fifteen." I whispered to him. He nodded. I know he hated it. He dreamed about a better life were he would never have to worry about money again. Well we all do. I pulled Ella's blanket off. She grunted. "Ella Gabriel and I are going to work you need to get up!" She sighed in defeat.

I went to my room and put my black pants and white shirt that said " Paul's here to solve your food probes" I know it's stupid. But it was mandatory for work. I hopped on my bike and sped off to work. The orange looking bulking came into sight. I frowned. I didn't want to work almost all day. Besides school. I locked my bike up. And went inside. I put my black hair up in a pony tail. I had the casual random customer in my block. But one person in particular took me back.

He had a shade of hair almost hazel shade. If that's a thing. And blue eyes that could electrify you. A smile instantly spread on my face. A thing I had not grown accustom too. "Hey I'm Skylar I'll be your server for the afternoon. Can I start you off with anything to drink?" I chirped. He stared at my green eyes. Automatically causing me to cower. "I know people like you." He stated. While watching me. Like he was trying to predict my response. "People like me?" I asked. "Yes, people that put up walls to protect them selves from everything. But in the end they don't know what's bad and good so they shove everything out."

I was taken back by how spot on he was. "You are lost, scared, alone maybe even insecure." I was now enticed by him. "Is that so?" I asked. He nodded. "You are one of the hard puzzles that I will soon crack." I stared at him. Who was he? "Carson." He stood and left. No food? I was beyond confused. I racked my brain for answers to the strange events today. But nothing came up. I felt a little feeling deep down. Blossom into something more.

I still wasn't sure what I was feeling. I looked at the clock. My shift was now officially over. I placed my apron on my hook. I ran out to my bike and sped home. I had a bad feeling. That there would be something at home that would scare me or something worse. I got home within minutes. I opened the door and my mom was in the floor shaking. Foam coming from her mouth. Gabriel was on the phone. Frantically telling the people what happened. I ran to her. And put her on her side. I knew the drill. I had to keep her from chocking to death.

The paramedics were here within seconds. They asked if we wanted to leave but we all said no. I paced my room. All of the sudden my phone sounded. I looked at it. I had received a text that read
A puzzle I will soon figure out.
I knew it was Carson.
What ever you say- me
It actually is whatever I say-Carson
I have a feeling your ego is bigger than the Eiffel Tower-me
You may be right-Carson

I powered my phone completely off. I really don't need distractions right now. I was furious I thought she was out of her old ways. But I was wrong. Yet again. I felt my blood pulse through my arms. I needed a way to get this anger out. I pulled my hand up and punched the wall. Hard. Well hard enough to leave a gaping hole.