~12~

Lexi tried not to be angry with her Uncle Z. He had always been protective of her. He was a bossy, alpha male, which probably explained why he had a different girl on his arm every time he visited.

For this trip, he brought along one of Lexi's favorites. Nora. Like Lady Twila, Nora enjoyed the decorum of a party, only she didn't take it to the extreme like royals, and Nora recited epic poetry from memory, which was brilliant. Lexi used to wonder what Nora and Uncle Z had in common. They were polar opposites, but she got a clue the year she caught them skinny dipping in the swimming pool.

Behind the noise of the party, Lexi and Nora chatted while Lexi watched Luke like a hawk. He had begun a second round of the room, making conversation with people he'd already talked to. Was he making business connections? He sure knew how to work a crowd.

"So, you fancy that man in the suit, don't you?" Nora said.

"Who wouldn't? I mean, look at him. He's the hottest guy I've ever seen." Lexi stopped herself before she spilled everything. She wasn't talking to Alice or Becca in sixth period. "That didn't come out right."

"I think it came out just the way you intended it." Nora giggled melodically, which made Lexi feel a little better. "I have never known you to mince words, Lexi. And I would have to agree with you. Luke looks devastatingly handsome this evening."

"Do you know Luke?" Lexi allowed her eyes to drift away from the back of Luke's head to look at Nora.

"Oh, yes. We have been acquainted for some time. I'm sure you have already discovered how engaging he can be. I have never known a female who could resist his charms. Well, maybe one or two."

Lexi blinked at Nora, probably too many times. Did she dare probe further? Nora was probably the only adult she trusted to keep confidences, besides her mom.

"Do you know how old he is?"

"His age?" Nora's forehead wrinkled, like she was working hard to do the math. "I cannot say, exactly. How old do you think he is?"

"Twenty-five or thirty."

She cocked her head then nodded it. "That seems like a fair guess."

"Do you know what he does for a living?"

Again, Nora contemplated Lexi's question, taking a little longer this time. "I know he is responsible for the lives of many people."

"So, he owns his own business?"

"Yes, you could say that."

"He must be highly motivated. He seems young to be so successful. He is successful, isn't he?"

"Absolutely. He is very good at what he does. Why don't you ask him these questions, sweetheart? Luke is an easy man to talk to."

Lexi stiffened at the thought. She was perfectly content to stand on the other side of the room and fantasize about Luke. Sure, the ice had been broken, but she turned into a doughy mess when he looked at her with those beckoning eyes. They were like orbs of pure sunshine, and she had this silly notion they might burn her if she stared too long.

"You look terrified," Nora said, patting her arm. "I have never seen you shy away from conversation. I think you two would have plenty to talk about." When Lexi didn't respond, Nora leaned into her ear and whispered, "You have not lost your maidenhood yet, have you?"

"My what?" Lexi's attention snapped from Luke's golden orbs to Nora's inquiring smile.

"You're a virgin," she clarified.

"Oh. Yes, I am." Lexi felt her face heat up, and she untwisted the cap on her water bottle, the one she'd been hugging to her chest. If she could get through debates about the sex life of bees, she could tackle a conversation like this one.

"Then I understand your apprehension. But, if I may be so bold and offer you some advice, woman to woman. You could not choose a better gentleman than Luke to help you through that rite of passage." Nora offered Lexi a wily grin, which looked too covert for her. Had she gotten this information from experience?

Lexi glanced back at Luke. He had repositioned himself to give a perfect profile of his face. He reminded her of a living monument, like the great statue of David.  "I understand the mechanics of it, but I've heard mixed reviews about the first time..."

Nora clicked her tongue. "I don't remember a single instance of pain. While there may be a moment of discomfort initially, if you are giving yourself voluntarily, the pleasure of the experience will overcome all else."

Lexi pressed her hand to her stomach as she imagined the pleasure. "What about love? Shouldn't I be in love with the man who takes my virginity?"

"Love?" Nora tapped her cheek with her finger, giving Lexi a scrutinizing eye. Was she trying to decide on the truth or a sugar-coated version? "Love is a complex emotion and often complicates matters in the bedroom. Sex is an act of trust and pleasure. Why put parameters on a sexual relationship by requiring love be involved?" Nora paused to switch into sage mode. "I am not condoning sex with random strangers. Mutual respect must always be established first, but I prefer to leave love out of it. The risk of having one's feelings dashed against the rocks are too great, otherwise."

Nora finished her sermon about loveless sex with a casual shrug, but Lexi could read between the lines. Nora had felt the pain of lost love. Probably more than once. Did it have something to do with Uncle Z? And what about Luke? Did he feel the same as Nora about sex without love?

Lexi pressed the water bottle to her mouth and slowly tipped it over her lips, using the liquid to cool her skin, which had been overheating all night. Had Luke come to the party to pick up a girl? There were very few single ones. Only Emily and Diana, but neither seemed that interested in him. They were too busy talking about an upcoming tournament. Both were excellent archers.

"Do you know who invited him? Luke, that is?" Lexi turned to Nora as she made her inquiry, and she found Nora smiling again.

"He knew of the event through mutual friends. I am not surprised he decided to attend without informing anyone. He likes to antagonize your Uncle Z." Nora's eyebrows disappeared under her dark bangs, and she made a motion of zipping her lip.

"That isn't fair. You started it," Lexi protested.

"And your Uncle Z would make me sleep in the stable if he overheard our little chat."

"Can I ask one more question?"

"You may."

"Do you think Luke plans to stay all weekend?"

"If the gods will it."

Nora finished with one of her favorite quotes before excusing herself, leaving Lexi to deal with a rush of chills that surprised her. Suddenly, she was imagining Luke lying in one of the guest beds. Did he wear boxers or briefs? Maybe he slept in the nude. Oh, my. What would she do with a naked man? And, more importantly, what would he do with her?