~61~

Hades was thinking with his dick. It was the only explanation for allowing such a contemptible act to happen. How could he have overlooked this detail? Had he become so numb to his surroundings that he'd forgotten the things that made it home? If he could not trust his own mind, how would he ever earn Lexi's loyalty? How would he earn her forgiveness?

Dropping heavily to his knees, Hades gathered her hands in his own and gazed into her liquid, blue eyes, which were shining with unshed tears. "My careless error is inexcusable. I would not blame you if you refused me and left my domain as punishment. I assure you that no one would feel more pain than I. But, please, know that I would never purposefully hurt you. I was caught up in the excitement of having you to myself. There is so much I want to share with you."

Lexi put her finger to his lips, stopping his desperate rant. "I don't blame you. Everything is happening so fast. We're bound to have lapses in judgment. Is there somewhere else private we can go? This is a big place."

With his guilt weighing him down like a slab of marble, Hades stood and tucked Lexi into his arms, loving her more with every moment that passed. He had behaved selfishly, and she forgave him without judgment. Even the wisest god could learn from her compassion. "You are a merciful angel and a goddess of the highest caliber."

"You might rescind that statement when I beat you at croquet again."

He chuckled into her hair then inhaled deeply, filling his senses with her unspoiled scent. Could he convince her never to bathe? A knock intruded on his musings, and he called to the door. "Come."

Fiona walked in carrying the bottle of wine he'd requested and two glasses, all balanced effortlessly on a tray. "Your wine, Lord Hades."

"Thank you, Fiona. Please, deliver it to the north tower bedroom. Lexi and I are relocating there."

As expected, Fiona's eyebrows lifted in surprise. "The north tower? Will that suit your needs? It hasn't been used in..."

"I have already sent Blythe ahead to ready the room," he interrupted. "And I'm asking the same of you. Lexi and I will wander the halls to give you more time."

"As you wish. The room does have a lovely view of the eastern gorge." Fiona bowed her head and backed out of the room, her eyes flitting to Lexi as she closed the door on a worried expression.

"Okay, I'm intrigued," Lexi said. "Why does everyone freak out when you mention the north tower? Will I find a magical rose under glass there?"

Hades knew the question would come up sooner or later. Of course, he wished for later. "If it's roses you wish, I can have them planted outside your room. There's space on the balcony for an arbor."

Lexi smiled. "That was a joke, but I didn't expect you to get it."

"And I was evading your question. The north tower bedroom is the one I shared with the last goddess I convinced to stay with me. Her name is Clary. You will not find her in any of the mortal texts. She is a demigod, like you. Daughter of Mnemosyne."

Lexi reacted as predictably as the nymphs. "Holy smokes. Nora's daughter? But I don't remember her mentioning a child named Clary. Although, now that I think of it, she rarely talked about her family. She just said she had kids spread out all over." After a moment of contemplation, she slipped her hand into his, her grip as sure as her gaze. "We all have paths to follow, and mine has led me to you. I have no intention of abandoning you like the others."

"Spoken like a true poet." Hades grinned to cover his emotions, which had been simmering close to the surface since their arrival. He was certain Lexi had noticed the moisture building in his eyes. "I hope your feelings for me never die. Forever is an eternally long time."