~62~

* Steam Warning *

The wine hit Lexi like a powerful ocean wave, the kind that catches you when you're not looking, and she set her empty glass on the balcony wall as she stared at the spectacular scenery. Hades had suggested a breath of fresh air after she admitted to feeling overwhelmed, although standing on a tower floating magically over a gorge didn't exactly qualify as calming.

In the distance, the forests glowed with fall color, which she had confirmed was not her imagination. The underworld's seasons mimicked the ones at home. That, alone, gave her some peace. She also learned that minotaurs, centaurs, and all manner of mythical creatures lived among the thick woods and fields. Granted, Hades was quick to point out that not all of them were civilized.

"The Asphodel Meadows are perfect for a picnic." Hades's voice tickled her ear as he stood behind her, his arms wrapped around her waist and his chin resting on her shoulder. He had been there since they arrived on the balcony, with his engine revving at her back.

"I'm good with that, as long as there's no chance of being trampled by wild beasts. How far is Tartarus from here?"

"Do not worry about Tartarus, Lexi. You would have to travel a great distance to find it, and the entrance is well protected. Imagine two dogs like Cerberus, only five times larger."

"Hellhounds?" she whispered.

"In mortal terms, yes. We just call them hounds. How are you feeling, now? Has the wine helped?"

As Hades spoke, he peppered Lexi's neck with light kisses, sending supercharged chills down her spine. She knew he was anxious to make good on his promise to ravage her, and she felt the same hunger, but she was stalling. Was she apprehensive about sharing a bed that belonged to his former lover? The gods probably did it all the time. Would it be rude to ask for another room? Hades and his nymphs had already done so much to make her feel comfortable.

"I need you like the horizon needs the sun." His whispered plea floated across her skin, making her heart skip a beat, and she turned in his arms, offering an unreserved smile.

This seemed to be all the validation he needed, and he scooped her into his arms to carry her back inside. When they reached the foot of the bed, he set her on her feet. He stood very close, but he did not touch her, while his eyes smoldered like an ever-burning flame.

"My desire for you is consuming me, Lexi. But I sense your unease. If you need more time, I understand. I have waited a lifetime to find a goddess who stirs me like you do. I can wait a little longer to claim you here, in my domain." He took her hand and lifted it to his lips. "When a flower blooms, only the fortunate are there to witness the splendor. And when it opens, only the privileged persist to bask in its radiance."

Lexi felt sure she would swoon. Despite his position as an Olympian and lord of the underworld, Hades had no qualms wearing his emotions on his sleeve. She loved this about him – his human side.

"I have never been more ready to be claimed by you," she said boldly, convincing herself it was true.

Hades's lips twitched subtly, making Lexi's thighs clench. "Your surrender is my salvation. May I divest you of your clothing, Lady Lexi? I wish to gaze upon your lovely flesh unhindered." 

A blush heated her cheeks as Hades continued his poetic assault, proving that romance was not only the way to a girl's heart, but also the way into her panties. Was this really her future? She friggin' hoped so.

Lexi acknowledged his request with a nod, and Hades stepped even closer, his musky scent filling her head like smoke at a Flaming Lips concert. With movements that gave away his excitement, his fingers worked deftly to untie the cords of her blouse, and he folded the collar back, exposing her cleavage. He looked starved as he trailed his fingers over her skin, devouring her with his fiery gaze and triggering an ache inside her. The ache of expectation.