Chapter 15

Akashi's POV

After lunch, (Y/N) and I enjoyed the day outside. We mostly stayed on the bench by the lake gazing at the water. Sometimes we would talk about random stuff we just thought of at the time.

Through the day, though, I noticed (Y/N) had a shadow in the depths of her eyes. It was one of pain, sorrow, and loneliness. I tried my best to make her happy the whole day, but somehow that expression would always return. And I was sick of not knowing why, because I'm supposed to know everything.

I was thinking of ways to ask her as I sat on a log by the campfire that we just started. She was sitting across from me on another log, focusing on the flames. The same expression on her face.

"(Y/N) are you okay?" I suddenly ask.

Reader's POV

"(Y/N) are you okay?" Akashi suddenly asks me. I raise my widened eyes to meet his. I don't understand why he would suddenly ask me something like that. Unless, I've been too obvious of the fact that today wasn't a good one.

"Y-Yeah I'm fine. Why do you ask?" My voice shook as I spoke making me grimace. Akashi raised his eyebrow as if to say 'yeah right'. I sigh. "Sorry today's just not the best day for me." I confess.

"Why?" He had the nerve to ask.

'Should I tell him?' I question myself. 'I could...couldn't I? It's not like he'll talk to me after the summer's over, right?'

I suck in a long intake of air before exhaling. "Fine I'll tell you." I just needed to get this off my chest. I haven't talked to anyone about this since it happened. Not even my Mom. And it's been eight years.

"There was this friend of mine in elementary school. She was really close to her Mom and Dad. Tried her best to make them proud. She was scouted as a child singer when she was only eight years old. She loved to sing! Oh how she loved to sing!" I had to stop for a few minutes as the memories came rushing in.

I then took a shaky breath before continuing. "She became quite popular and had many recitals weekly. That continued for two years before she finally quit." I looked at Akashi strait in the eye. "Do you know why she quit?" My voice was thick with emotion. Akashi shook his head.

I swallowed. It was hard to with the lump in my throat. "It was because the night of one of her recitals her Dad died." I choked out.

"She blamed herself for it too. No matter how many people said it wasn't she still thought it was. See her Mom and Dad were on their way to her recital. If it wasn't for her recital they wouldn't have even been on the road when the drunk driver was. The drunk driver hit them head on causing them to go airborne. Then after the car landed, it rolled down the embankment for what probably felt like forever." I once again had to stop in order not to break down right then.

"Then it was hours before the medics arrived because of the lack of intell. However, it was already too late for her Dad. He died from blood loss. But her Mom was no better because after that day she was cursed to be in a wheelchair for the rest of her life." By now the tears were streaming down my cheeks refusing to stop. "And even to this day she still blames herself." I wipe my nose with my sleeve as I finish.

There was a moment of silence as Akashi took in the information I just gave him. I steal a glance at him and see that he was looking at the flames deep in thought. With only the lighting of the fire it was hard to tell what he was thinking.

Finally he looks up at me and opens his mouth to speak. "That friend of yours.......that girl....was you wasn't it?" He softly asked.

'How-'

"Don't deny it because I can tell." He says with a pained look.

I didn't know what to say, so I simply nod in agreement. I look down at my lap as the sobs finally overtook me and I could refuse them no longer.

Akashi's POV

It was painful for me to see (Y/N) looking like that. All the blame she's been putting on herself.

I rushed to her side when she broke down. Crying her heart out in agony.

Without thinking I wrap my arms around her and gently pick her up, setting her gently on my lap. I held her tightly to my chest as she cried, feeling my own tears escaping. How long has she blamed herself for her Father's death and her Mother's paralysis? How long has she faced this on her own?

I gently rocked her back and forth like I would a child, rubbing her back to comfort her. I would mutter a few comforting words at times, hoping it would make a difference.

After a while her sobbing quieted and I looked down at her face buried in my chest. She had fallen asleep, exhausted. I took my hand and gently wiped away the tears that still clung to her eyelashes.

I couldn't deny it. I had fallen for this girl and I wanted to, in any way possible, protect her.

Not wanting to wake her, I carefully carry her back to the cottage, thankful that I had given everyone the day off. Entering her room I carefully set her down into her bed and pull the covers over her defenseless self.

I was just about to leave when I felt a tug on my shirt. I look behind me and notice (Y/N) had woken up and grabbed my shirt.

"P-Please don't leave me." She says shakily. It pulled some strings in my heart to see her this way.

I take her hand that was clenching my shirt into mine. I intertwine our finger together as I turn around and crouch down to her level.

"I won't I promise." I softly say to her. The look of relief was evident on her face.

"C-Can you perhaps hold me? Until i fall asleep that is." The desperate look on her face made it impossible to refuse. It was probably the first time she's ever told anyone how she felt and was feeling alone.

"Yes." I whisper causing her to finally smile.

"Thank you." She whispers back.

I let go of her hand and reassure her that I'd be back before going to my room to change. No way was I wearing skinny jeans to bed. That'd be painful.

I quickly return to (Y/N)'s room, noticing that she had started crying again. She was so defenseless, so broken.

"(Y/N) I'm here." I say as I walk over to the bed, hesitating before climbing onto it. I settle myself next to her, not entirely sure what to do. This had to be the most unsure I've been my whole life, but it seems to happen a lot when it comes to (Y/N).

"S-Sei?" She tiredly whispers turning to face me. I scoot over closer to her and wrap my arms around her waist. She stiffens at first but quickly melts into my embrace. She buries her face into my chest again, clinging to my t-shirt. I rest my chin on top of her head, keeping a protective grip on her as she succumbs to sleep. I fall asleep shortly after with her still in my arms, afraid if I let her go she'd be gone forever.
________________________

A / N : so what did ya think? Did I make you cry? If I did my goal was achieved. If not, sorry I tried my best.

Now comes the lovey-dovey stuff! In the next chapter definitely! Maybe a kiss or two??

Anyways I'm thinking I'll be ending the book in another 5 or 6 chapters. Hard to believe it's almost done!

Until next time

Ja ~ ne minna-san! !