2 (Maya)

"Maya, if you want to tell me something, just tell me." Riley says in a serious yet comforting tone.

Can I tell her?

No. Of course not.

"What do you mean?" I say in a way where she will geniunely think that nothing is wrong.

"Are you sure? Because I will understand. Nothing will ever ruin our friendship." She says then she wraps her arm around me.

This will change everything. It won't ruin our friendship it will just change a lot of things and I don't want that to happen.

"I'm sure Riley." I say then I give her a quick smile to assure her.

She then takes a deep breath and faces me. "Can I ask you something?"

Woah. Is this gonna be serious? "Yeah, of course." I answer her with a calm tone.

"Do you think th--" She stops then looks at the ground. "Never mind."

"Hey, Riley," I put my hand on her shoulder to make her look at me. "What is it?" I ask genuinely curious of what she was about to ask.

She whips her head left and right then says, "No. Never mind it." Then she looks at me. "It's stupid."

"This is obviously bothering you. When something is bothering you, it's not stupid." I move closer to her and I rub her back then I say, "Tell me. It'll make you feel better."

She takes a breath and gives in. "Do you think that-" She pauses. "That Lucaslikesyou?" She asks quickly.

What?! "Huh?" I ask in a calm tone. I understood her perfectly but I don't want her to think that this is a soft subject.

She looks at me now, straight in the eyes, then says," Do. You. Think. Lucas. Likes-" She stops and a look of hesitation shows up on her face but she continues. "You?"

I don't know. Hopefu-- No! Do not think like that. He will never like you. "Are you serious?" I ask and she nods. "Riley, you shouldn't even be thinking like this. Huckleberry doesn't like me. He will never like me like that." Never.

"But Maya did you see the way he was looking at you?" She gestures her hand to me. "How much he cared about the Art program because he wanted you to be happy? He even talks about you to Zay." She looks at me with a pained expression. "You're his blonde beauty." Then she sits, back against the window.

Lucas did all of those things because he was my friend. Right? Why am I even questioning this? He likes Riley. He's always going to like Riley. There's no changing that.

"Riley are you hearing yourself? And are you blind?" I chuckle a little to lighten up the mood. I nudge her with my shoulder to at least get a smile out of her. "Hey. Have you seen how Huckleberry looks at you?" I put my hand under her chin and I make her face me. "He likes you." I pause. "Just you." She stays still but I can see her mood lifting.

"You really think so?" She asks, full of hope.

I nod. "Yeah."

Because there is no chance he would like a broken girl who teases him for the sake of her amusement.

---

Zay is flipping through the inside of his locker when I decide to approach him. "Hey Zay." Then he turns, a smug look immediately appears on his face.

"Maya," he says as he tips his imaginary cowboy hat for the sake of his own amusement of my annoyance for it.

"Why does your smug face always appear when you look at me? Is there always something on my face?" I ask him, genuinely curious on why he's always like that with me.

He immediately composes himself exageratedly, "Nothing." But he gives me a teasing look for half a second before he goes back to his normal expression.

What is up with him? Nah, he's just being Zay.

A small smile appears on my face just because he's being extremely weird and it always amuses me. "You're impossible." I chuckle before I walk away from him and into the classroom.

"Hey! I was just messin' with 'ya!" I hear Zay shout.

Idiot. But a smile sneaks up on my face.

I take a seat and someone taps my shoulder when I turn it's Lucas. My heart immediately starts to beat faster than it should. I'm nervous? What the hell? Just act cool Maya. You're never nervous around Lucas. Don't start now.

"What's up Ranger Rick?" I smirk just to tease him just a little more. If I don't tease him I'm always going to be nervous around him.

He smiles and decides to let my teasing go, as always. "How was Art class?" He asks.

I chuckle a little, "You were there Huckleberry it went the same way yours did."

"I know I was there but I know it always feels different for you in there. You don't even remember to tease me there." He laughs, before biting his lip just like he always does when he's nervous. Wait what? Is he nervous? No. Maya, stop this. He can't be nervous. He's not nervous.

Forget it. "It went well, I guess. I'm just glad we got to save it." I answer him. "Thank you for your help by the way. It meant a lot Lucas."

A smirk appears on his face then I realize I just called him by his first name. "You calling me Lucas is becoming more frequent now." He teases, then a smile appears on his face.

"I-I-- whatever Huckleberry." I stutter. I turn away from him fast to hide how flushed my cheeks probably look.

Stop Maya!

"Am I getting to you?" I hear Lucas say then he chuckles.

I don't have to look at him to know he's smirking. That's how you wanna play?

I turn around and by the look on his face I know he knows what's about to happen. I smirk at how worried his face looks.

"I'm sorry! Don't do it." He pleads. "I'm asking you not to do it." He raises his hands up in the air.

"HAAHURRRR!!!" I say loudly and directly to his face.

When I finish he asks, "You done?" He looks like he just got tortured but he ends up just laughing.

"Yeah. That was pretty great." A huge smile plasters on my face and this time I don't even try to hide it.

***

A/N:

Hi!

So, what do you think of the story so far? Please, leave a comment and tell me what you think of it :)

Bye ✋

-ntbr