4 (Lucas)

Riley and I are finally on the way to the dance. I've been looking forward to this moment for a long time. The day they announced the date for the dance I knew I wanted to go with Riley and now here we are. I'm holding her hand tight and she's doing the exact same thing probably even tighter because she's nervous. I can tell.

We're inside Farkle's limo and he's beside Maya talking about something funny, I'm assuming, because they're giggling and laughing out loud at times. Sometimes I find myself laughing along with them without even knowing what they're laughing about. It's because of Maya's laugh. I like her laugh. It's contagious.

I catch Maya looking at me sometimes. I really have no idea why but, in a way, she looks sad. I never get the chance to question he rabout it 'cause as soon as she sees me looking she immediately looks away and focuses her attention to Farkle.

What's going on with her?

Shrug it off. Don't worry about anything right now. She's probably fine. Just focus on Riley. She's beside you and she's your date to the dance. What more can you ask for?

"We're here," Farkle's driver announces.

I look at Riley with a huge smile on my face. "Let's go?"

She giggles a bit and her cheeks turn red, "Yeah, lets go."

---

Riley and I are just sitting down while everybody else is on the dance floor dancing with their dates. I want to ask her but my nerves have kicked in and I lost the confidence to ask her.

Look at her you idiot! She wants to dance. Can't you see it on her face?!

"Rile-" I was cut off by Charlie Garner who just appeared out of nowhere.

Riley looks up at him and waits for him to say something. He then instead looks at me, disappointed.

"Dude, everybody is dancing. Were you ever gonna ask Riley to dance?" Charlie Garner asks me in an accusing kind of way.

"I was just abou-" He cuts me off again but this time it's in a way I never would've thought he would.

"Riley, would you like to dance with me?" He asks her in a really polite tone, the tone he usually has when he's talking to Riley.

Riley's face beams up, like she's been waiting to be asked to dance. I should've asked her.

She looks back at me, "Lucas is it okay? I know you're my date bu-"

"Riley," I cut her off. "go. Have fun. I'll catch up."

I should've asked her earlier. Now she's with Charlie. Stupid Lucas. Just stupid.

I see Farkle walking toward me and when he reaches me he playfully hits my back.

"Come on Lucas. Let's go to the dance floor. Everybody's there, you're the only one by the tables." He says.

"Charlie Garner just stole my date." I say in a confused tone.

"Lucas, Riley's been looking at us since earlier. If Charlie Garner didn't ask her to dance. I would've. What's wrong with you?" He says in playful tone but I know he's right. "Why didn't you ask her to dance anyway?" He asks.

"I got nervous."

"Are you seriously kidding me right now?" Farkle says in disbelief. "Riley's been waiting for you to ask her to the dance for ten months. If you asked her to bungee jump with you I would actually believe she would. If you asked her to dance with you, she would've immediately said yes." He pushes me by my shoulder, "Get your act together," then he laughs. "Let's go dance!" He says loudly as we walk going to the dance floor.

---

I start to just bounce along to the music playing as I try to move closer and closer to where Charlie and Rileye are. Riley looks like she's having fun. She's always so carefree and light. I should've just asked her earlier.

"Ranger Rick!" I hear someone say from behind me. I don't even have to turn around to know that it's Maya behind me.

"Hey Maya," I greet her. Now we're facing each other as we're bouncing along to the music.

"So, why are you here dancing with me and Riley is all the way there with--," she looks to where Riley is with Charlie, "that guy." Maya says, obviously not knowing who Riley is with right now.

"She's with Charlie," I explain to Maya. "He asked her to dance cause I got," I pause. Should I tell her that I got nervous? But she'll just tease me about it. Ah whatever. "Nervous."

"Nervous?" Maya says, completely shocked. She's looking at me in a weird way and I absolutely know that she's already trying to make up something to make fun of me.

I stop dancing and I put my hand up in front of her, "Don't. Just don't say it."

She's smirking now, "You absolutely are the same aren't you?"

Now I'm confused, "Who?"

She points to Riley, who is still dancing with Charlie, "You and my best friend over there you dumb butt." She runs her fingers through her hair then she looks at me, "Riley is nervous around you and you're nervous around her. How the hell is that suppossed to work huh? Tell me huckleberry."

She's getting so worked up about this, it's making me nervous and kind of ashamed. How is it going to work? " I-I'll do-"

"You're gonna make up silent signals to each other? Or you're just going to try to be mind readers you're entire life?" Her voice raises a little and she's gesturing her hand all over the place.

"Maya stop!" I say as I grab her by the shoulders and I hild her in place, to which she us facing me. "I don't know. But I'm gonna figure it out."

She takes a deep breath then she looks down. "I'm sorry," she says before looking up. "You know what? I don't know why I got so worked up about this." She gives me a small smile then walks away.

She continues walking away from me and she doesn't even look back.

What just happened?

---

"Hey, I'm sorry I took so long." I say to Riley as we sway to the soft music playing through the speakers.

"Huh?" She asks.

"I took so long to ask you to dance with me. You danced with Charlie 'cause I was too chicken to ask you to dance. So for that I'm sorry." I explain.
She pulls me in closer and we're now in a position where were hugging each other as we sway. It's nice. Safe.

When I thought she wasn't gonna say anything anymore she says, "This was worth the wait."

***

So, what'd you think? I'm really sorry this update took so long to come. But it's here :)

Please comment below about ANYTHING. ANYTHING AT ALL. But at least try to tell me about how this story is going so far :)

Bye.

-ntbr