Chapter V: Flashback

Arabella just finished guard training in the village of Arzeia. She didn't need to search for a village to serve--she was already standing in it. Arzeia, her birthplace, is the village she would protect with her life.

Battle-axe in hand, Arabella proudly marched to a small house in the village. Of course, she'd always visit that house when she was younger, but she hadn't gone to it much ever since she joined the guard academy.

She knocked on the door, impatiently waiting for it to open. She couldn't wait to show him.

After a minute or so, the door opened. Arabella was greeted by dazzling eyes, brighter than emeralds and a confused face quickly breaking into a grin.

"My, my, Arabella," said Caspian, obviously impressed, "what's with that huge battle-axe?"

"What do you think?" asked Arabella pridefully.

"You've finished your guard training, I see," he observed. "Now we can hang out all the time, even when on guard duty! Er, that is, if you're not looking for another village..."

Arabella smiled. "Did you really think I'd leave you here alone? You won't be able to get anything done without me."

"Aww, come on, I'm not totally useless. Besides, who was the one who always beat you at duels? This guy, right here."

"Fair enough." Arabella grinned. Finally, she could be with Caspian for as long as she wanted.

~•~

"The stars are so brilliant," Arabella was saying, tracing their outlines in the sky.

The two of them were sitting atop the walls of Arzeia, still on duty. However, that didn't mean they couldn't have a few moments to themselves.

Caspian turned to face her. "The stars can't match the brilliance of your beautiful, silver eyes."

Even though they've been together for years ever since she graduated from the guard academy, Arabella fell in love over and over again every time she set her eyes on Caspian. "Smooth as always, aren't you?"

"I'm only speaking the truth," replied Caspian. He brushed his hand against Arabella's and their fingers intertwined.

She gazed into his eyes and ran her hand through his unkempt, chocolate hair. "I love you, you know that, right?"

"I'd never forget." Caspian leaned closer and closer until their lips touched.

~•~

"Are you alright?" inquired Arabella. "You haven't been acting like your usual self, lately."

"Honestly, Ar, you're getting way too paranoid." Caspian rolled his eyes.

"Uh-huh." Arabella crossed her arms. "Seriously, what's going on?"

He let out an exasperated sigh. "Nothing's going on. For Irene's sake, can you stop being so obsessive?"

"Excuse me?"

Caspian, realising what he just said, immediately tried to apologise. "Wait--Arabella--I didn't mean anything like that!"

"Sure, because caring about you is a sin, isn't it?" spat Arabella, storming out of the room.

Caspian followed her out. "I'm sorry, I wasn't thinking."

She sighed, and softened her voice. "Caspian, what's really going on?"

"I... I've just been stressing myself lately with those, you know..."