Chapter XXIV: Interrupt

Aphmau, Aaron, Laurance and Arabella split up into four different directions in search for the Demon Warlock. If Asmund was correct (and Arabella hoped he wasn't), some time spent alone in the woods, completely defenceless (well, for her, anyway), would probably grasp the Demon Warlock's attention. Once they deal with him, they can set sail to wherever they wanted to build the Phoenix Alliance capital.

If only it was as easy as it sounded.

Arabella was aimlessly wandering around the area, accompanied by nothing but the silent, winter wind and the endless foliage. Whenever she heard any sound, she drew her hand back to unsheathe her weapon as an instinct, only to remember that she didn't have it anymore.

It made her feel unsafe and weak. Arabella had always been used to have her battle-axe at the ready, prepared to fight or defend herself at any given moment. Hell, it didn't even have to be her battle-axe--it could've been anything she could use against a threat. She'd always have three choices: a. fight them; b. run away; or c. admit defeat. It was always the first one, otherwise known as the only one that worked.

Now, however, her only options were to run or die, and Arabella didn't like that one bit.

Sighing, she ventured deeper into the dense woods.

As Arabella walked, she took in the magnificent sight. Snow-topped trees stood strong and flourishing, and small twigs and leaves fluttered to the ground on top of the white blanket of snow. There was no sign of wildlife, seeing as most would be hibernating by now. The brisk breeze whistled, and everything seemed to be in a tranquil state.

At least, that was what Arabella thought until she heard the unmistakeable sound of a bush rustling in front of her.

Uh-oh.

The same sentence repeated in her head. Run or die. Run or die. Run or die.

Arabella found herself slowly backing away from the bush as its rustling grew louder. Before she could break into a sprint, the perpetrator jumped out, and it looked like he didn't expect to see Arabella either.

"Laurance?" observed Arabella, as the brown-haired boy sheathed his sword. "You nearly gave me a heart attack."

"Why are you here?" asked Laurance abruptly, obviously annoyed.

Arabella blinked. "Why are you here?"

"I was searching for the Demon Warlock until you barged in," he spat distastefully.

Was he being serious? "Until I barged in? You were the one who came here!" She scoffed. "Oh, well, it's probably for the better, since I'm defenceless because of a certain somebody."

"Now, don't you just sound eager to kill?" taunted Laurance.

Arabella flared her nostrils. "That wasn't even me. I wasn't even conscious while doing that. However, you were fully conscious when attacking me, and you wouldn't have minded seeing me dead, would you?"

Laurance turned away, refusing to respond.

Arabella's mouth hung open. "Are you kidding me? You're not being serious--no way. This is a new low, even for you."

Laurance turned back to face her, his arms crossed. "What's that supposed to mean?"

"I don't know; you tell me," sneered Arabella.

He clenched his jaw. "The least you could've done was apologise to Aphmau."

"She's taking it lighter than you are!" Arabella shook her head. "Besides, you should be the one apologising, after, you know, purposely trying to kill me."