Chapter XX: To New Lands

Blood was everywhere. The bedsheets were splattered with it, it stuck to Arabella's hands and legs, and when she touched her neck, there seemed to be some sort of hollow space from which immense amounts of blood was spewing out.

There was too much blood.

Arabella's shrieking woke up everyone in the treehouse, which was Laurance, Katelyn and Aaron. Laurance jerked up from his chair the moment he heard her, and ran to her side, slowly getting horrified after realising what had happened.

"Oh, my Irene!" interjected Laurance, while Arabella frantically attempted to wipe the red liquid off of her to no avail. "Arabella, are you hurt?"

When he tried to grab hold of her shoulders to make her stop panicking, Arabella instinctively flinched away from him, after what happened in the dream. "I--I don't--"

"What in Irene's name is this ruckus?" said Katelyn, obviously annoyed, before she saw the blood and covered her mouth with her hands, eyes widened in terror.

Aaron also saw the mess and started assessing the situation, but he didn't say anything.

Laurance still didn't manage to make Arabella stop shaking. "Arabella, please, stop panicking!"

"You're making it worse," pointed out Aaron, and he was right. It just made her freak out, even more.

"I need--I need to--" Arabella jumped out of her bed and nearly tripped over Katelyn and Aaron as she ran out of the room, blood tracking her path. "I need to leave!"

"Arabella!" Laurance called out after her, but she didn't listen. She just ran and ran, with no destination.

Every step felt like she was walking on broken glass, which, coincidentally, she had been. The pain from every part of her body was so bad that it numbed itself. The bleeding never stopped; in fact, it got even worse.

How in hell did the Shadow Lord manage to hurt her physically through a dream?

As much as Arabella wanted to know, she had other priorities, such as trying not to bleed to death. She momentarily stopped running in the middle of the plaza, for some reason. She looked at both of her shaking hands, and, sure enough, pieces of shattered glass were jammed into them. Wincing, she plucked out a small shard and observed it carefully. Ignoring the fact that it's soaked in her blood, it was completely real.

Arabella threw the shard on the ground and started heading to the showers. She needed to do something about this, and she needed to do it fast. If not, she was dead.

Arabella assumed no one knew where she was as she got into a shower. She turned it on and watched as the blood ran off of her skin and was drained away. She touched the hole in her neck that she had noticed earlier, but it seemed to have mended itself. In its place was a small scar the size of a knife-wound. How odd and fitting.

When the injuries healed themselves, that was real. When the blood washed off of her, that was real. Everything that had happened in her nightmare was real.

That terrified her.

In any case, Arabella finally stopped bleeding, as if it was purposely timed to have stopped at one point. Her bloodstained skin returned to its pale colour. Arabella slipped on some new clothes and went back outside.

Sure enough, when she went back to the treehouse, Laurance was pacing around anxiously. Aphmau seemed to have returned. "Arabella, I heard what happened. Are you... are you alright?"

Arabella tried to say something, but the words wouldn't leave her mouth. The whole incident left her feeling pretty weak, as that was what blood-loss did. "I'm..."