Chapter 1

Those closest to the entrance turned to stare at the newcomer. Priya felt a chill down her spine at the menacing glares of all the others who had passed the Hunter screening; it was evident, everyone who had made it this far was strong. Strong, and most likely dangerous. She shrunk back, attempting to nullify her energy that pulse strong and steady from her being, quite unlike her heartbeat the moment.

When most were satisfied they had glared down the newcomer, they turned away from her. Others, on the other hand, continued to observe their opponent slyly from the corner of their vision.

'Geez...what a creepy atmosphere,' she thought, steeling her nerves before walking further into what reminded her of a large subway tunnel. The air was chilly, and tasted a bit stale, but she assumed that it differed if one was in the middle of the large crowd that hung about, waiting for what was to come.

'I wonder how many people are down here...their auras are completely fused together that I can't even guess...'

"Including you, that makes four hundred and six."

'!!!' Priya glanced up in alarmed, wondering if the person who spoke out to her had read her mind, or if her posture had simply proven very easy to read. The one who had spoken to her was a short, stocky man with cropped brown hair and thick eyebrows. He approached her with a smile, cocking his head slightly to the left to look under her hood. As a habit, Priya lowered her head even further, tugging on the hood around her face.

"The name's Tonpa! Pleased t' meet cha," the man greeted cheerfully, sticking out his hand. The energy that flowed him didn't seem dangerous, and Priya hesitantly stuck her hand out to shake his own.

"Priya..."

"I gather you're new here!"

"You can tell?"

"Of course; I should be able to by now, considering this is my thirty-fifth go at the exam. I guess you can say I'm an expert examinee," he said with a hearty laugh.

Priya didn't think that was something to brag about, but maybe he just enjoyed the examination itself. She had heard that it did change every year.

"Excuse me!" A new voice pitched in, and Priya turned to see an odd bean-like being dressed in a suit and tie, carrying a small basket on his arm. "Your number badge, miss! Please keep this on you at all times," the Bean said, handing her a badge that had the number 406 on it.

"Ah, thank you," she answered, giving a small bow of her head as she took the pin. She stared down at the pin that was about the size of her palm, and new determination seemed to fill her. Anyone capable of using Nen would feel the new energy that swelled in the girl's aura, for her entire being seemed to light up with it.

Taking a calming breath, Priya attached the pin securely to her cloak, just above her heart. Completely oblivious to those whose attention she had drawn, she placed her hand over the pin, a quiet prayer leaving her lips without a sound. Once again being as energized as she was when she first started her journey, she confidently threw back her hood.

Her crimson hair that framed her small face was an assured eye-catcher, as were her violet eyes that held an unusual spark of energy in them. From those around her, they judged she was about sixteen at most, and some wondered how such a girl made it this far when she, at first glance, seemed to have no extraordinary talent. She carried no weapon, nor did she wear any armor. Her frame was small and delicate, and her small hands showed no evidence of any labor. She looked to be a noble girl or at least a girl accustomed to wealth and easy living.

She turned back to Tonpa, a soft smile on her face. "I suppose you know nearly everyone here then if they're not newcomers like me. Would you mind sharing a bit of information about this year's examination?"

"Just about; I'll point out some of the regulars. Let's see... 255! Strong as an ox, and a lot smarter than he looks, we have the wrestler, Todo. And then over there is 103, Bourbon, the snake charmer. A tenacious competitor; get on his bad side and you'll never get off. Number 191 is Bodoro, the Kung Fu master. He's getting old, but he's still the best of the best.  197 to 199 are the brothers Amori, Imori, and Umori. They specialize in teamwork and keep getting better at it. 384, Geretta, the Huntsman. He's quite handy with blow darts and clubs... There are many more, but they have taken the test the most times."

Priya's attention was guided in every direction as Tonpa pointed out those he knew, and all the while, her nen was snaking out, feeling her competitor's auras. They all completely differed from the other hunter applicants she had met on her journey here. Those were all just wannabe's. Everyone here was a master in their right, and, therefore, a threat.

"GAAH!"

A strangled scream interrupted Priya's thoughts, and she whirled to see what the commotion was. A man had fallen to his knees, and his arms stretched out before him. The strange thing was, both his arms were eroding away, and from them, beautiful red flowers were forming and being blown about by an unseen wind. Unconsciously, Priya took steps forward, despite Tonpa's unheard protest, and leaned down, scooping up some of the flowers that had drifted to the ground. They were the color of blood and sparkled beautifully to the point where she became enraptured with them. Her trance was interrupted by a man's smooth voice.

"Oh, how peculiar..."

From where she knelt, Priya's eyes widened at the man before them all.

His leaning frame was quite huge; Priya was certain he would stand a good foot and few inches taller than her if the two were to stand toe to toe. His hair was bright red and was slicked back as if he was walking against a constant wind. Golden hues were narrowed at the man on his knees before him, but the look they held was one of pleasure, and insatiable bloodlust. The clothing he wore was similar to that of a magician or jester, adorned with various suit symbols on the front and back, and complimented his fairly toned stature. A maroon star was painted on his right cheek, just beneath his right eye, and a spring green teardrop aligned with it on the left.

The man spoke again, his voice cold, but laced with arrogance.

"His arms seem to have become flower petals. No smoke and mirrors here," he said to the crowd, stretching out his arms as a smile stretched across his face. Priya found she was once again enraptured, taken in by the energy this man gave off.

"Do take care. When you bump into someone, you really should apologize."

The surrounding hostility of the other examinees shocked her back into reality, and she heard Tonpa's next words loud and clear.

"That psychopath is back again."

She turned to glance at him, now seeing he was beside a boy with spiky black hair whose tips were hued green.

"Again?" the young boy questioned with curiosity.

"Does that mean he took last year's exam?" asked another boy, this one with blonde hair that was an obvious companion of the younger.

"Number 44. Hisoka, the magician," Tonpa started his tone grave. "Last year, he was a virtual lock to pass the test, until he all but killed an examiner he didn't like."

"A-And they're still allowing him to retake the exam this year?!" an old man who sported a small pair of spectacles on his nose cried out, obviously aghast at the fact.

"Of course; every year, the examiners and test contents change, and the examiners are the ones who choose the new content. The devil himself could pass if that were the examiners determination. That's just how the Hunter Exam works. Anyway, no one likes him. You should stay away, too," Tonpa finished. His attention now completely diverted from her for the time being to the three other newcomers around him, Priya allowed her mind to drift.

'So, he obviously has no regard for human life...' Priya thought to herself, once again looking down at the flowers held in her hands. Unconsciously, her life force stretched out towards him as she stared down at the flower petals, drawing his attention as her aura enveloped him. "But still...the flowers are pretty," she commented softly, a small smile gracing her lips as she brought one closer to her face.

4