Chapter 6 - [Switched to 1st Person]

369 applicants are left.

"Pay attention now. Be sure to stay close behind me." Satotz called out from the front of the pack.

If I thought to run through the tunnel was bad, running through the wetlands was much worse. Not only were we running through mud and muck, but the areas around us were teeming with strange creatures, all who gave off an eerie aura. I tried to work my way closer to Satotz but somehow ended up running next to Hisoka instead. The aura surrounding him was ten times as worse as the creatures that surrounded us from each side, and I sensed it was his bloodlust. He had killed once and was itching to do it again. Hopefully, he wouldn't consider me a target.

"You knew that guy was a fake before you killed him, right?" I asked nonchalantly, keeping pace with the magician's long strides, although it was hard considering my legs were much shorter.

"Hmm, did I?" he hummed, a smile pasted on his face.

"You had to! It was so obvious...," I scowled, looking up at him. He had to be joking with me. Surely he knew, right? Or did he just take a gamble and throw the cards at each person claiming to be the examiner without knowing who was telling the truth? If he had in fact killed the real examiner, we probably would have all been led off to our deaths.

'He probably wouldn't care in all honesty.'

The swirling fog around us began to grow thicker, and I moved slightly closer to Hisoka's side then I would in any other setting. I could feel the predators around us start to stir, and knew they were going to take their chances in separating our group to eat.

"Was it? Well, I found that little quarrel was quite annoying. What I thought more interesting was that little entrance you made...Care to explain that?" Hisoka inquired, looking down at me from the corner of his eye.

"...." I looked away as if I hadn't heard him, and he chuckled quietly.

"So full of secrets you are little fruit~," he whispered, and I felt my cheeks grow hot at the strange nickname.

We could barely see the other runners in front of us now as the fog continued to thicken, and by now I could barely see where each of my footfalls landed.

"All right...This is our chance."

I perked up at the whispered voices of the other applicants, glad that we were pretty much still in a group. They had to be the runners behind us.

"We'll take advantage of the fog to get rid of him!"

Huh? I glanced behind Hisoka and me and saw five other applicants running behind us as if they were hanging back. Though the fog was thick, because of the Gyo used in my eyes, I could see each of them clearly, and there seemed to be even more behind them. Surely...they weren't planning to take on Hisoka, right? I glanced up at the magician warily, wondering if he could feel all the negative energy being focused solely on him, but he didn't act like anything was amidst.

"Gon. Let's move up."

"We don't want to lose sight of the examiner."

"I'm more concerned with increasing the distance between us and Hisoka. Staying too close to him Is dangerous. I can smell it in the air."

I recognized the voices of the two boys I saw earlier...so even they could feel this? And yet Hisoka still continued to run along beside me as if nothing was up. The other hunters had moved up now, and a few had boxed in around us, each glancing at Hisoka from the corners of their vision. 'Perhaps I should get out of the way as well...I don't want to get caught up in a fight. But then again, it feels wrong to leave him to fend for himself.' Why did I even have to be so worried about this damn clown? He seemed liked he could handle himself, but still.