Chapter 3

Priya felt a sudden and violent presence of Hatsu, and before it could inflict any damage, she quickly raised a Ten barrier. The Hatsu being projected was strong, and her eyes quickly swept the room of applicants to locate the threat. No one else seemed bothered, so she assumed that no one else was being attacked, and probably had no idea what Nen even was at this stage.

"Hm~ it seems you can easily withstand me. How interesting."

The presence that was suddenly behind her startled her, and Priya whirled around, ready to face her attacker. Seeing number 44, Hisoka, standing there was not what she expected. She regarded him warily; although he had a smile on his face that gave away no ill-will, because of Gyo being used in her eyes, she could see the aura surrounding him that said otherwise. He reeked of malice. Priya was a near expert in reading the auras of others due to her vigorous childhood training, and already her eyes were penetrating the aura that surrounded the strange magician.

Although unnoticed by others, Hisoka could clearly see how the strange girl's eyes seemed to glow as if they were slowly being awakened as she gazed up at him.

A manipulative, self-centered, sadomasochist sociopath...

Priya had not realized she uttered such things about the magician out loud until he began to laugh quietly, his eyes closed and his frame shaking with mirth. "My, my, you really shouldn't say such rude things about someone you've just met. That's hardly polite," he said, running his fingers through his hair as he looked down at her, the subtle hint of a smirk causing the corners of his mouth to turn upwards. Priya lightly flushed, her pale cheeks soon flooding with color as she dropped her gaze and began fidgeting with her cloak.

"S-Sorry..." She didn't understand why she was apologizing, as everything she said about him was true. Perhaps it was the way he looked at her; as she noted, he was obviously a sociopath, and would probably have no problems in trying to kill her. She didn't have time for that.

"Tell me, what's a little girl like you doing at the Hunter Exam? And already trained in Nen at that? You're hardly a common sight around here," he inquired with a hint of curiosity.

"None of your business; I don't go around explaining myself to total strangers. As I recall, I've been warned multiple times not even to talk to strangers, especially if they're strange old men dressed like clowns," Priya stated, pointing a finger at him. Of course, she was never told that specifically.  To Priya, it looked like she hit a slight nerve, for she saw a twitch in one of Hisoka's facial muscles. Maybe calling him a clown was too much.

Priya turned slightly, crossing her arms over her near non-existent chest as she looked up at him from the corner of her eye. "...But I suppose if one doesn't talk to strangers, one's not bound ever to make any friends. Although I've already been told who you are, Mr. Magician, I'd prefer it if you introduced yourself to me first. Then maybe I'll be inclined to satisfy your curiosity." She was attempting to save herself from her little mistake, and it seemed to work, as death no longer radiated from the aura surrounding him, at least, not entirely.

A smile once again gracing his face, he crossed an arm over his torso and gave a slight bow of his head. "Of course; I am known as Hisoka, the magician." That was all he gave, and in truth, it gave no insight on who he was. Priya sighed in disappointment.

"Well then, I suppose that's satisfactory. I'm Priya; it's a pleasure to meet you, Hisoka," she replied, not giving him much insight on herself either. "And to answer your earlier question, I'm obviously here because I want to become a hunter. I thought it'd be fun to try, considering it's such a popular thing in the world."

Hisoka frowned slightly, his arms crossed as he looked down at the petite redhead. She didn't seem to be lying, but then again, her answer didn't seem to be all there was to it either. Most people who simply wanted to become Hunter's for the hell of it didn't usually even make it into the exam. And yet here this girl was. That meant she was extremely skilled, and considering she already seemed to be quite skilled in Nen, Hisoka hardly disregarded this option, or she was either extremely lucky to have made it this far and would drop out pretty soon.

The obnoxious ringing of what sounded like an alarm disrupted their conversation, and Priya looked up towards the large cement wall that housed each and every one of the hunter applicants inside. The sound was coming from the other side. With surprising ease, the wall began to rise, scattering the dust that clung to it, and Priya had to wonder what kinds of mechanics were used to lift something that looked to weigh about a few tons.

Behind the rising wall stood a single man; his hair was a light shade of lavender, and he had a mustache that she assumed covered his mouth (despite it being so thin), considering she couldn't seem to pinpoint one on his face.

"I apologize for the wait. The entry period for Hunter applicants has ended. The Hunter Exam will now begin!"