Chapter 15

I stood motionless in the dark, my erratic heartbeat so loud I was certain even the departed Togari could hear it on the other side. I hesitantly reached out my quivering hands, reaching for something to steady me in the dark as I took baby steps forward. A startled sound escaped my throat as I tripped over something that rolled into my path, and I fell forward against a hard chest.

A pair of firm hands grasped my arms and I sucked in a breath, every part of my body tingling with warmth as one of the hands brushed against my cheek.

"H-Hisoka?"

But it couldn't be him, could it? Hisoka was cold as ice – cold, and callous, and cruel; the farthest thing from being warm and reassuring, like the hands that now gently stroked my hair.

"Have you finally calmed down little fruit? Getting so worked up when we first entered the room – you're running a fever now," he chuckled, his sweet-smelling breath fanning across my face. I swallowed thickly, my own quivering hands raised to feel my forehead that was beaded with sweat. "Don't worry, it's all over now."

This made the third time now – the third time that he's protected me.

Even if I was just some entertainment for him, some 'toy' to mess with for his amusement – it doesn't change the fact that he's kept me safe all this time. Out there in the swamp from those other applicants, from that wild boar during the cooking challenge, and even now in this room. He's protected me.

"You know," I started, still holding on to him as he reached down to pick up the wicked blades that lay on the ground, "You normally act like the coldest, cruelest, most callous and heartless bastard in the world. But sometimes – sometimes Hisoka, I start thinking that you can actually be quite nice."

I was glad that we were standing in the dark; most likely my cheeks had turned as red as my hair.

"Thank you – for saving me."

Hisoka was silent, unmoving under my touch, but I felt his aura reach out to me. While it held all his familiar traits, there was something different in there. Almost like – once again, he was surprised. I smiled up at him, although he couldn't see it in the dark. "Let's finish this phase. I'm really looking forward to that nap."

I listened as he laughed quietly under his breath, taking my hand and acting as my guide in the dark. He turned and bent down to my level, and placed my hand on his shoulder. Holding on to him firmly, I mounted his back, my arms wrapping around his neck and my legs wrapping around his waist. His hands gripped my thighs as he hoisted me up, and I closed my eyes as I leaned forward and rested my forehead on his uninjured shoulder.

Thank you...you stupid clown.

I raised my head from my makeshift pillow as the room rumbled slightly, one of the doors leading into the large chamber we were in slowly opening.

"Gittarackur, applicant 301, is the third to pass. Total time, twelve hours and two minutes."

I sucked in a breath, stiffening as I realized that I was no longer alone with just one psychopath to worry about, but two. Moving closer to Hisoka was starting to seem like a good idea by now, even though I had gotten up numerous times and moved away from him as he shifted closer.

"How do you expect me to get some rest and get over this fever if you keep bothering me? Creep!"

I could tell he was bored, but I was determined to take a nap.

Gooseflesh rose on my skin as Gittarackur chuckled, his entire body clicking as he turned to look at Hisoka, he gaze sweeping over me as well. "I figured you'd already crossed the finish line."