Chapter 13

After clearing the exam's Second Phase, we were told to all load on to the airship which would take us to Phase Three. Absolutely exhausted after having run through the never-ending tunnel, trekking through dangerous swamp lands, and jumping into ravines, I was ready to go into hibernation. However it seemed sleep was far from the Chairman's mind as he gathered all of us in a room for an announcement. I was standing besides Hisoka and Gittarackur, trying desperately to keep my eyes open and not sway on my feet while the Chairman spoke.

"Allow me to introduce myself to the forty-three remaining applicants. I am Netero, Chairman of this year's Hunter Exam Selection Committee."

"I am his secretary, Beans."

'Why on earth is there a giant talking lima bean standing next to the Chairman. He's a bean – beans can't talk. And they most certainly can't be secretaries, unless the person they work for has the plan to get absolutely nothing done,' I thought to myself, giggling quietly under my breath.

Hisoka bent down next to my ear, his breath making the hairs on the back of my neck rise. "Something funny, little fruit?"

I raised my hand and put a finger to his lips, shushing him as I pushed him away from me with my other arm.

Chairman Netero continued to speak, "Originally, I'd planned to make my appearance during the exam's final phase, but as I'm already here..."

I covered my mouth with my hand and gave a muffled yawn.

The Chairman narrowed his eyes, a smile pulling over his wrinkled face. "I'm loving this tension in the air! So I think I'll stick around for the rest of the trip," he stated, giving a hearty laugh.

Obviously, my senses were dulled by sleep deprivation, because I felt absolutely nothing aside from Hisoka's constant energy that seemed to envelop me whenever I was nearby.

The giant lima bean spoke, once again drawing my attention. "We are scheduled to arrive at our destination tomorrow morning, at 8 AM. You'll find dinner waiting in the dining hall. You are also welcome to get some rest. In other words, you're free to do as you please until you are contacted."

While I did hold a strong dislike to any type of bean, I was willing to hug this one at the moment.

A small burst of energy filled me again, and I whirled to face Hisoka. "I'm going to eat something and then I'm getting some rest. I'll see you later, okay?" I had not gotten even two steps before his hand clamped down on my shoulder, his signature smile that always sent shivers down my spine plastered on his face.

I already knew what he planned to say before the words came out of his mouth, and instead of letting him speak, I called Eitri's name. My familiar was still wrapped around my neck, although she was covered by my cloak as to not cause alarm to the others. She poked her head out from underneath that fabric and noticing Hisoka's hand on me, lunged in for a bite. Her fangs pierced his skin, and it was a surprise enough that his grip on me loosened, and I quickly slipped away.

"Don't worry, she's not poisonous. See you later!" I called over my shoulder as I rushed through the crowd out of the room, leaving Hisoka behind with Gittarackur. I passed Kurapika and Leorio on my way out and waved, telling them goodnight before following after the other applicants heading to the dining hall.

[Private Room – 3rd Person]

The silverware clinked gently against the plate as the Hunter cut off another small bite of her food. Brining the piece of meat to her mouth, she chewed and swallowed, before turning to speak to her companion.

"Hey, how many applicants do you expect to make it?" Menchi asked Buhara.

The man who was contentedly patting his budging stomach turned to the smaller woman. "You mean pass the exam?"