Chapter 7

A part of me wondered why I even stayed in Hisoka's company. I was against violence, and I strictly abhorred unnecessary killing. Yes – I knew what the world was like, full of violence and evil. But I attempted to keep myself as far from that as possible. So why did I continue to follow around Hisoka like some lost puppy?

'The men who attacked him were different – they would have killed him if he didn't defend himself. But these two have absolutely nothing to do with this fight!!'

I tried to call out, to warn them to run away, but my voice stuck in my throat. If I called out, I would be warning them, and they'd have a chance to get away...but then I'd also be drawing Hisoka's attention to myself.

'Tch, am I so weak that I'm only concerned with my wellbeing? I was raised to protect others – I hid from that duty once before, and it's the reason I'm here now, trying to get stronger! I can't let something like that happened again.'

I planted my hands in the grass slick with dew, and carefully, pushed myself to my feet. Finally able to stand, despite my legs still quivering like that of a newborn calf's, I knew I had to come up with a plan of action, and quick. Hisoka had turned and was already walking towards the two, and their fear hit me like a heat wave.

I noticed the boy with the tag number 404 begin to whisper to his companion, both their gazes flickering to me momentarily before turning back to Hisoka and hoped that they were coming up with a way to escape this predicament.  If Hisoka got too close to them, I'd have to intervene...but for these few seconds, I'd see what they'd do.

Hisoka was drawing closer, and they merely watched as he approached, not having made a move yet.

'What are they doing? Run!' I inwardly screamed, already channeling my Ren to prepare for a physical Nen attack.

Hisoka drew a card and finally stopped a few feet away from the two.

A gust of wind blew fiercely in the clearing, and Hisoka raised his hand to waist level.

"Now!"

The two took off in separate directions at an alarming speed, soon disappearing into the thick fog. It took a second for me to release finally the breath I had been holding, feeling a massive weight lift off my shoulders.

"Thank God..." I murmured, allowing myself to collapse back onto the wet grass. For a single moment, I had forgotten that I was still in the clearing with Hisoka until I heard his voice.

"Hm. I see...A wise decision."

The animals that had come out of the brush to feast on the corpses froze, and even my breath seemed to freeze in my throat as I heard his laughter. His aura and the bloodlust that filled it skyrocketed, and the animals in the area fled in outright terror.

'I...need to go...'

He had turned his gaze towards where I sat, smiling. There was no way I could move now. His body turned, and already he had taken a step towards me before his attention was caught by something else approaching.

"Hmm?"

A shadowed figure was emerging from the fog.

"I just can't do it..."

The shadow figure was applicant number 403!

'Idiot! Why did you come back!?'

"This may not be my fight, but I won't close my eyes and make a break for it...Especially when that leaves a cute girl in danger!"

Huh?

It took me a second to process his words, and the fact that the stick he had gripped in his right hand was now pointed and raised at me.