all alone

"Brooke!" I hear my Dad call from the main room. I groan and roll off my bed. Are they for real trying to make this up to me? I mean, it has been three months... but Brynna is my best friend. I have met other girls my own age in our travels, but we never clicked as well. As I wander down the hallway, taking the longest path possible, I go over the stream, under the bridge, through the hot air balloon room, past an old console room, and ended up there through the Lazer tag room, finding several birds along the way.
"Hello, sweetie." Mum greets me. "We-" Dad interrupts.
"We noticed you haven't been your usual... sunny... self as of late. I sigh. You think? A huge grin spreads across Dad's face. "So..." he dashes over to the other side of the console room, and Mum watches him with a smile playing across her lips. I watch as Dad plays with some of the keys, and the door opens. My eyes widen and a huge smile leaps onto my face as an adorable white Boxer puppy with brown patches runs over to me and almost knocks me over. I start laughing and sit down, allowing the puppy to start licking me all over my face. His tail wags very quickly back and forth.
"What are you going to name him?" Mum asks. I lean back on my arms and and gaze into the adorable puppy's little arms.
"I don't know." I say, "I'll have to think about it."
---
Brynna leaned against the filthy brick wall and sighed. Rubbing her hands against her eyes. She had seen Brooke do that when she was trying not to cry. Maybe that would work for her. It didn't. Not knowing what else to do, she curled herself into a ball, hiding the exposed part of her legs from where her pants ripped best she could, and fell asleep.
In her dream, she was running through a field, feeling elated, yet fearful. Brynna remembered this time well, she had been eight at the time. And had tried her first, and last, escape from Madame Kovarian. In her dream, Brynna joyfully looked behind her, at the house getting farther and farther away in the distance. Suddenly, she smacked into something, sprawling onto the grass, she had looked up and to her dismay, had seen Madame Kovarian, hovering over her,
"My, my, you're being very naughty, aren't you?" The cruel woman had crooned, glaring down at Brynna. Brynna had gotten down onto her knees, staring at the grass.
"I'm sorry Madame." The petite figure had mumbled. Kovarian glared down at her.
"You should be." The dream shifted into the house. Brynna had just been brought into the kitchen by Madame Kovarian. "You know what you deserve now? Don't you?" Said Madame Kovarian, pulling some now red hot pincers out of the lit fire place and squeezing them on Brynna's fingernail, Brynna had winced when the burning metal pressed against her skin. Madame Kovarian grinned maliciously at her, and pulled.
Brynna snapped awake, sitting up to fast and banging her head on the garbage can sheltering her from the sun. As he held the fingers of her right hand, almost felling the sting of Madame Kovarian pincers.
Hours later, Brynna was watching the people going by, hoping to see a kind looking one. She saw a woman who seemed like a good choice, getting up slowly, putting down the broken glass she was holding as she did so, and approached the woman,
"Hello, Ma'am, I was wondering, can I please borrow your cell phone for just a moment?" The woman glanced at Brynna's filthy clothes, and when her eyes made it to Brynna's legs, her face twisted into a knot of disgust. She glared at Brynna and walked briskly away. Brynna wandered back to her spot, her eyes burning with unshed tears. She had been trying to call her grandparents for two months now, no one would ever let her use their phone, and she had no money for telephone boxes. No one ever gave her any, they were all scared away by her strange scars in her arms and legs. Even the police avoided her. Oh well, even if she could call her grandma and grandpa, they wouldn't want her, no one wanted her. Not the Doctor, not Rose, not anyone. Brynna put her head in her hands,
"Stupid Doctor, and River too. Why did you send me away?"
Brynna sat like that for a long time, losing track of the hours, missing Brooke more with every second.