01| Atlanta

CHAPTER ONE » ATLANTA
"I'm a glass half full kinda guy."

"Hey dumbass. Hey, you in the tank. Cozy in there?"

There was no reply.

Glenn and I shared a look.

"Hey, are you alive in there?" I asked, growing increasingly worried for the well-being of this stranger.

"Hello? Hello?" The frantic voice that finally replied seemed vaguely familiar.

"There you are." I said, mildly relieved, for some reason, by the fact that this idiotic stranger was alive. "You had us wondering."

"Where are you?" The man in the tank questioned. "Outside?" He guessed. "Can you see me right now?

"Yeah, we can see you." Glenn said.
"You're surrounded by walkers. That's the bad news."

I punched Glenn's shoulder. "Dumbass. Now he's gonna think there's good news!"

"There's good news?" The guy asked hopefully.

"No." My best friend replied bluntly.

"Listen, whoever you guys are, I don't mind telling you I'm a little concerned in here."

"Oh man." Glenn said nervously. "You should see it from over here. You'd be having a major freak-out."

I hit Glenn's shoulder again. "Stop it!"

He wasn't lying though. It did look absolutely horrific from out here. Walkers were swarmed all over the tank. You could hardly even see the tank anymore because there were that many of them covering it.

His chances did look slim.

But by the looks of it, some of them had started to join in with the feeding frenzy of the horse. Meaning that there might be a small window of opportunity to get him out of that tank.

"Got any advice for me?"

I grabbed the radio device before Glenn could say anything else stupid.

"Yeah, I'd say make a run for it."

"That's it? Make a run for it?"

"It's not as dumb as it sounds." Glenn defended. "You've got eyes on the outside here. There's one geek still up on the tank but the others have climbed down and joined the feeding frenzy where the horse went down. With me so far?"

"So far." The man replied.

"Okay, the street on the other side of the tank is less crowded. If you move now while they're distracted, you stand a chance. Got ammo?"

The guy sighed. "In that duffel bag I dropped out there. And guns. Can I get to it?"

"No." I shook my head. "Forget the bag, okay? It's not an option. What do you have on you?"

"Hang on."

There was some shuffling about in the tank and I heard a gun being cocked

"Yeah. Yeah. I've got a Beretta with one clip. 15 rounds."

"Make 'em count." I said.

"Jump off the right side of the tank, keep going in that direction. There's an alley up the street, maybe 50 yards" Glenn explained. "Be there."

"Hey, what are your names?"

"Have you even been listening?" I asked, shaking my head. God this guy was so unprepared for this. "You're running out of time."