02| Guts

CHAPTER TWO » GUTS
"If bad ideas were an Olympic event, this would take the gold."

"So what happened to you then?" I asked Rick. "Weren't you in a coma?"

"I was. Woke up and the dead were walking."

I snorted. "Damn that must have been weird."

"Tell me about it." he sighed, leaning his hands over the ledge. "So what about you. How did you end up with this group?"

I smiled. "It's kind of a long story."

"It's gonna be a long day."

"Fair point." I shrugged. "Well, on the night it happened, I ordered a pizza. And this delivery guy comes in rambling about these damn geeks. Naturally, I just presumed he was high or something but he switched on the news and it turned out to be true. So we left together to find a refugee camp. Ended up stumbling upon this group. Been with them ever since." I explained.

"What happened to the delivery guy?" Rick questioned.

"Oh, him?" I turned around to face Glenn, who was looking into the distance. "He's sat right over there."

Rick followed my eyes and smiled when he realised I was looking at Glenn.

Glenn, who then realised that there were eyes on him, looked over at us with a frown.

"What?"

Rick and I chuckled, turning back to look over the edge.

"You've been together since the beginning?"

"Yep. Practically inseparable now. Honestly, I don't know if I would have made it without him." I admitted. "It's nice to have someone."

"If you don't mind me asking, what happened to your family?"

I sighed. "They were away on holiday when it happened. I don't know what the hell happened to them. Part of me is glad that I don't know." I glanced over at the others. "But this group is family now."

"How's that signal?" Morales asked T-Dog, causing Rick and I to look over.

T-Dog sighed. "Like Dixon's brain. Weak."

Merle raised his middle finger.

"Keep trying." Morales encouraged.

"Why?" Andrea asked. "There's nothing they can do. Not a damn thing."

"Got some people outside the city is all. There's no refugee center. That's a pipe dream" Morales said.

"Then she's right" Rick spoke up. "We're on our own. It's up to us to find a way out."

"Good luck with that" Merle Dixon scoffed. "These streets ain't safe in this part of town from what I hear. Ain't that right, sugar tits?" He turned to Andrea, who gave him a look of disgust. "Hey, honeybunch, what do you say, you get me out of these cuffs, we go off somewhere and bump some uglies? Gonna die anyway."

"I'd rather." She commented, causing me to bite back a laugh.

"I figured as much." He mumbled. "The streets ain't safe. Now there's an understatement."

"What about under the streets?" Rick suggested. "The sewers?"

"Oh man." Morales said. "Hey, Glenn, check the alley. You see any manhole covers?"

Glenn headed over to check but came back, shaking his head.

"No, must be all out on the street where the geeks are."