48 | Us

CHAPTER FORTY EIGHT » US
"They're gonna feel pretty stupid when they find out."

After making last minute checks around the surrounding area, we regrouped and started to make our way towards the back of the building. Strangely, there were no guards around, so the only thing obstructing our way was a fence, which we all scaled over with ease.

Rick took the lead, making his way towards the nearest door, swinging it open with his gun lifted in preparation. Rick let Daryl and Olivia in first, and I followed suit, keeping my weapon raised as I followed them down a dimly lit, narrow hallway.

As we made our way through, a robotic voice sounded overhead.

"Terminus. Those who arrive survive. Follow the tracks to the point where all lines intersect. There are maps at the crossings to help guide you with your journey."

I swallowed thickly, realising they were advertising this across radio frequencies. I wondered just how many people had heard; how many people were here.

"Sanctuary for all. Community for all. Those who arrive survive."

Daryl stopped at the end of the hall, peeking his head round the edge of a doorway. I followed his lead, spotting a woman hunched over a desk, speaking into a microphone. A little way past her, many other busy men and women sat by desks.

"Terminus, sanctuary for all. Community for all. Those who–"

"Hello," Rick said, cutting the woman off as he made his way into the centre of the room. I made my way in after Daryl and Olivia, glancing around at my surroundings. Things seemed almost too calm, almost too peaceful. It set me on edge.

The woman who had been speaking into the microphone looked up in surprise before turning to look at the rest of her people. They all stopped what they were doing, eyes falling on us, yet, they didn't even look remotely startled. Even more so, they didn't even reach for weapons. They just stared.

One of the men let out a sigh, as if this had happened before. "Well, I bet Albert is on perimeter watch," he muttered, moving away from his desk. "You here to rob us?"

"No," Rick answered. "We wanted to see you before you saw us."

The man smiled. "Makes sense. Usually we do this where the tracks meet. Ahem," he raised his hands. "Welcome to Terminus. I'm Gareth. Looks like you've been on the road for a good bit."

"We have," Rick answered before clearing his throat. "I'm Rick. That's Carl, Daryl, Michonne, Blaire, Olivia and Jade."

Gareth smiled at us, waving his hand. None of us bothered to return the gesture. "You're nervous. I get it," he started. "We were all the same way. We came here for sanctuary. That what you're here for?"

Rick nodded his head. "Yes."

"Good," Gareth replied. "You found it." He turned his head to look behind him, raising his voice. "Hey, Alex," he called, causing one of the men to lift his head, beginning to make his way over. "This isn't as pretty as the front," he continued. "We got nothing to hide, but welcome wagon is a whole lot nicer."

Gareth placed his hand on Alex's shoulder, as I narrowed my eyes in response to his words. 'We got nothing to hide', what an odd thing to come out with.

"Alex will take you, ask you a few questions. Uh, but first, we need to see everyone's weapons. If you could just lay them down in front of you."

Rick glanced back over at us, but we were all watching him, waiting for his response. I naturally found my hand tense, tightening around my gun. Rick finally nodded, letting out a heavy sigh. "All right."