14| The Farm

CHAPTER FOURTEEN » THE FARM
"Blaire, you're not religious."

"Did you close the gate up the road when you drove in?" The woman's voice startled me and I narrowed my eyes watching as the brunette, who'd took Lori on the horse, eyed us with suspicion from her seat on the porch.

"Uh, hi. Yes, we closed it," Glenn said awkwardly, obviously thrown by her sudden question. "Did the latch and everything."

"Nice to see you again," I said, trying to hide the undertone of sarcasm in my voice. There was something unwelcoming about the girl's tone. I completely understood it though, she didn't know us and she didn't want to get too close to us either. I felt the exact same way.

I started to hear T-Dog's heavy breathing beside me and placed my hand on his shoulder to steady him.  He looked like he was going to pass out the moment we struggled to help him out of the car. "We met before briefly," I then added, tugging my lips into a friendlier smile.

"Look, we came to help," T-Dog said. "There anything we can do?" The brunette's eyes flickered down to his arm, where blood from the cut was seeping through his bandage. "It's not a bite. I cut myself pretty bad though."

The girl started to move closer towards us. "We'll have it looked at. I'll tell them you're here."

"We have some painkillers and antibiotics. If Carl needs any," Glenn said, shaking the bottle that he'd pulled out of his bag.

"I already gave him some," She replied, opening the door, which let out a small creak. "Come on inside. I'll make you something to eat and take you to the others."

She led us into the small house and into another room. I swallowed thickly as I stepped inside, noticing Carl lay unconsciously on the bed in the middle of the room. Lori and Rick were sat beside him, looking absolutely exhausted. A man, I presumed the girl's father, stood up and faced us. "Hey," Glenn said, causing the two worried parents to look up.

"Hey."

I stepped forwards, putting on a sympathetic smile. I felt so hopeless, I just wanted to do something to help Carl and to help them both get through this. But there wasn't anything I could do. "We're here, okay."

"Thank you."

"Anything you need," I promised, giving the two of them a nod before slowly turning around to follow the other three out of the room.

~

I winced as T-Dog let out another groan of pain. After we'd eaten, Maggie, the brunette, and Patricia began to stitch T-Dog's arm. "You got here right in time," Patricia commented. "This couldn't go untreated much longer." T-Dog grunted in response. "Merle Dixon? Is that your friend with the antibiotics?"

"No, ma'am," Glenn replied, stepping out of the shadows to stand beside me. "Merle's no longer with us. Daryl gave us those. His brother."

"Not sure I'd call him a friend," T-Dog said, his voice strained.

"He is today. This doxycycline might have just saved your life," Patricia replied. "You know what Merle was taking it for?"

"The clap," Glenn blurted and I closed my eyes, slightly embarrassed by his awkwardness.

"Venereal disease," I added quickly. "That's what Daryl said."

"I'd say Merle Dixon's clap was the best thing to ever happen to you," Patricia stated.

"I'm really trying not to think about that."

I shuddered at the thought and gave T-Dog a reassuring pat on the shoulder as I stepped outside. With a sigh, I rested my hands against the white fence around the porch. The sky was dark, but it was still a warm night. I could hear crickets in the distance, strangely adding to the calming evening atmosphere.