12|Search Party

CHAPTER TWELVE » SEARCH PARTY
"Just Shane being a dick like usual."

The next morning, Shane set up a search party to go into the woods to look for Sophia again.

"Everybody takes a weapon," He ordered, watching as everyone looked at the pile of knives and machetes.

Lori stepped forwards first, taking a machete.

"These aren't the kind of weapons we need," Andrea stated, her hands on her hips. "What about the guns?"

"We've been over that," Shane replied, a hint of exasperation in his voice. "Daryl, Rick, Blaire and I are carrying," I snapped my eyes up at him, confused but glad that he'd finally decided to let me keep hold of my gun. "We can't have people popping off rounds every time a tree rustles."

"It's not the trees I'm worried about," Andrea muttered.

"Say somebody fires at the wrong moment, a herd happens to be passing by. See, then it's game over for all of us," Shane said, eyes piercing Andrea. "So you need to get over it."

"The idea is to take the creek up about five miles, turn around and come back down the other side," Daryl explained. "Chances are she'll be by the creek. It's her only landmark."

"Stay quiet and stay sharp," Rick added. "Keep space between you but always stay within sight of each other."

Shane nodded at everyone. "Everybody assemble your packs."

I headed to the station wagon and started to pack water bottles and food into my rucksack. I didn't want to take too much but I had a feeling we were going to end up out there a long time.

"I'm still not happy about you having that gun."

I rolled my eyes as I turned around to face Shane. "Get over it," I picked up my rucksack and swung it over my shoulder, attempting to push past him.

"Listen if you make a wrong move today-"

I cut him off harshly. "How many times do I need to remind you that I did do gun training before the apocalypse broke out."

"I know you did. Just make sure you use it as a last resort, okay?"

"Okay," I huffed. "You done now?" 

He didn't reply so I headed over to Daryl, who was stood waiting for everyone.

"What was that about?"

I shrugged. "Just Shane being a dick like usual," I saw Daryl narrow his eyes slightly at the other man but he didn't comment.

Eventually, everyone else joined us and we all started moving.

~

It was a boiling hot day, but thankfully the trees were giving us enough shade. My knife was still in my belt loop, as was my gun now, both of them hitting my thighs as I walked.

The group started to stop and I looked over Carol's shoulder to see Daryl crouched down in front of a tent. Rick copied Daryl, who had his crossbow out at the ready.

"She could be in there," Daryl said. "Could be a whole bunch of things in there," He added, pulling himself up and heading towards the tent.

Rick followed but ended up raising a hand to stop everyone else in their tracks. Daryl stepped forwards, placing his gun down and holding his knife out, ready to use it if need be.

"Carol," Rick whispered. She ran to his side. "Call out softly. If she's in there, yours is the first voice she should hear."

A couple of moments passed before Carol spoke up softly. "Sophia, sweetie, are you in there?" She swallowed and I watched anxiously, waiting for any sign of movement in the tent. "Sophia, it's mommy. Sophia. We're all here, baby. It's mommy."