35| Welcome Back

CHAPTER THIRTY FIVE » WELCOME BACK
"I'm always on your side, Blaire."

Rick, Daryl and Merle made their way into the prison looking battered an bruised. I was relieved to see Rick safe, and deep down Daryl too, but then that was soon replaced by the anger of seeing Merle in our home. And also Daryl's stupid face.

"We're not leaving," Rick confirmed firmly as I joined the group, everyone seeming to be looking to him for answers.

"We can't stay here," Hershel argued. His point was valid. We'd just been attacked, we were vulnerable. Not only that, but there were way too many people at Woodbury for us to take on.

"What if there's another sniper?" Maggie asked. "A wood pallet won't stop one of those rounds."

"We can't even go outside," Beth added, seeming the most upset by this ordeal.

"Not in the daylight," Carol finished.

"Rick says we're not running, we're not running," Glenn stated, as I caught eyes with Olivia, who gave me an irresolute look.

"No better to live like rats," Merle spoke up, and I looked over at him with a glare.

"You got a better idea?" Rick threw back at him.

"Yeah, we should have slid out of here last night and lived to fight another day," he responded. "But we lost that window, didn't we? I'm sure he's got scouts on every road out of this place by now."

"We ain't scared of that prick," Daryl retorted back.

"Y'all should be. That truck through the fence thing, that's just him ringing the doorbell," he replied, as silence settled in the room from the rest of us. "We might have some thick walls to hide behind, but he's got the guns and the numbers. And if he takes the high ground around this place, shoot, he could just starve us out if he wanted to."

"Let's put him in the other cell block," Maggie said to Rick, causing me to stifle a laugh.

"No. He's got a point," Daryl said.

"This is all you!" Maggie suddenly burst out, startling me slightly. "You started this!"

"What difference whose fault it is?" Beth asked. "What do we do?"

"I said we should leave," Hershel said. "Now Axel's dead. We can't just sit here," Rick begun to walk away and I sighed, about to call his name when Hershel shouted him. "Get back here!" Rick stopped in his tracks as Hershel used his crutches to head over to him. "You're slipping, Rick. We've all seen it. We understand why. But now is not the time. You once said this isn't a democracy. Now you have to own up to that. I put my family's life in your hands. So get your head clear and do something."

Rick simply nodded and walked away yet again.

"Blaire–" Daryl started. I tore my eyes from Rick and nodded at him, knowing that we needed to talk. I looked to Hershel, who gave me a nod to say he had things under control.

Daryl and I headed away from the others. He came to a stop and I paused, folding my arms over my chest.

"You're a dick, you know that." He just grunted, irritating me further. "Why are you back, Daryl? Did things not work out with you and big brother Merle?"

"It's a good job I did come back," he bit back. "Everything's gone to shit."

"Hershel and I were handling it."

"Not very well by the looks of it."

My hand met with the side of his face, the harshness of the slap making my palm sting. "You don't get to come back here and criticise me!" I shouted, my emotions flaring inside me again. "You left us, Daryl! You left us when you knew damn well that we'd started something bad!"