08| Goodbyes

CHAPTER EIGHT » GOODBYES
"I can't have you mad at me, B."

I wiped a bead of sweat from my forehead, watching as Daryl and Morales started to drag the body of one of our people to the fire.

"Hey, wait!" I shouted.

"What are you guys doing?" Glenn asked. "This is for geeks. Our people go over there."

"What's the difference? They're all infected." Daryl replied.

"Our people go in that row over there. We don't burn them!" Glenn shouted, tears visible in his eyes. "We bury them!" His voice cracked. I knew he was holding back tears. "Understand? Our people go in that row over there."

Morales and Daryl started to drag the body over to where Glenn had directed.

I turned to my best friend.

"Hey, are you okay?"

"I'm fine." He said bluntly.

"Glenn, is this about what happened in Atlanta? I'm sorry I snapped at you like that but you've gotta understand-"

"It's not that."

"What is it then?"

"Okay, it is about Atlanta."

I sighed. "Glenn-"

"No. You were right. You chose me. You risked your life for me. I know they had me held captive in a nursing home but things could have been a lot worse. I was so inconsiderate. I didn't think the plan through and look what happened."

"Yeah, things could have been worse." I said. "But they weren't."

He shook his head. "I don't want you risking your life for me. I don't deserve that."

I shook my head, stepping closer to my best friend. "Glenn, do you remember when we first found the camp?"

"Vaguely."

"It had been just me and you for so long. And when we found everyone else, you told me something. You told me that no matter what, we'd have each other's backs all the time. Even in a group like this. If one of us was in trouble, the other would always go back for them. Would never give up."

Glenn sighed, running a hand through his hair.

"I know. But things have changed now."

"What do you mean things have changed? Is this about Rick being here now?"

"This has nothing to do with Rick."

"Then why can't you tell me!"

"Because-" he paused. "Because it doesn't matter, okay? Just drop it."

He walked off but I was too numb to walk after him.

~

"I still think it's a mistake not burning these bodies." Daryl stated. "It's what we said we'd do, right? Burn 'em all, wasn't that the idea?"

"At first." Shane said.

"The Chinaman gets all emotional, says it's not the thing to do, we just follow him along?" Daryl asked.

"He's Korean." I pointed out, for what felt like the billionth time. "And he was right. It was the decent thing to do."

"You people need to know who the hell's in charge here, what the rules are!" Daryl snapped.